Clio 182 or 197 first car?

Hey guys, newbie here so sorry for what might seem like some daft questions.

I'll come clean and admit I'm mainly a German sports car man and love modding them but always had a massive respect for the Clio Sports in their various guises from over the years.

Anyway, this might seem like a daft question (and I'm sure I know what you guys will say!)..BUT, the wife is soon to be taking her UK driving test soon so looking at first cars for her.

She's 32 years old, professional and has driven for about 7 years (accident free) over in Goa India. This will be her first time actually driving in the UK so I'm thinking either a 5K'ish 182 Trophy OR an 8K'ish 197.

Checked with my insurance company and TBH, theres not that much difference in premium on either car so thats not a bother.

Taking other things into account (EG:reliability, fun factor, size difference etc..) what do you think she should go for, 182 or 197? Or even push the boat even further and pay a bit more for used 200?

Any thoughts guys, much appreciated? :thumbup:

hmm its a tricky one...

They're all great cars, but come with different pros and cons. The 197/200 will be the more refined car, its also bigger, newer and better looking :wink:.

if you can stretch far enough you might even get some warranty on a 197/200.

The trophy on the other hand, is supposed to be a brilliant car. Its older, and may have slightly higher running costs because of that, BUT the trophy will hold its value much better than a 197/200. If I'd have bought a mint Trophy instead of my 197 at the time, I'd have lost half or less the depreciation...

Thanks for the feedback & welcome chaps, I know, its a bit of an awkward one so really don't know which route to go down. :001_rolleyes:

Great forum BTW..:jase:

Welcome mate,enjoy
Trophy or 197 do t bother with 200s pig ugly:rofl:worried:joking)
Well I got a 197 and my son got a trophy and to be honest driving both cars we both would go for the 197 for day today use but for fun factor the trophy
But that's only our opinion

197 ofcourse! They are both great cars and super fun to drive. It depends what her driving style is like aswell! Might be better off getting a 197 cup if she likes a bit of fast road booting!

I kinda knew this would go the 197 route and interesting to hear your opinions Roy as a family running both. It would be a daily drive and maybe the Trophy should be more of a w/end toy. I'm also thinking the 197 should be more reliable but don't want to open a can of worms with any 182 owners on here..

I know the wifes def going to be a keen driver so will prob go down the cup route (not to mention, I may need to borrow it on the odd occasion to..!!)

Its going to be another few months yet anyway but which particular year should I be looking for, I heard there were some changes towards higher gear ratios? Also, are the Recaros height adjustable, she's not exactly Jody Kidd tall so would need some sort adjustment, either that or use my Grans old piles cushion..ewwwww!!!

The Recaros are hight adjustable mate, but they have a high seating position as standard (slightly higher than standard seats, but thats another can of worms lol).

My GF is tiny, she uses our car regularly and gets on with it just fine, she does admit to looking a little lost in the bucket seats to passers by, but shes comfy and has great visibility. (I think shes ~ 5'2")

:welcome: to the site.

Bit bias on here towards the 197/200 you'll find lol!!

Trophy's are gorgeous cars though :smile:

Came to my 200 from a Trophy.

Day to day the 200 has it, but for run factor and better feel of the car I'd say the Trophy wins. I had my Trophy when my little boy was born and could still get him in and out with a buggy etc (even took him on a meet in it once), so it's not exactly impractical.

Try both and see which suits you

If your fund allows between 4k and 12k like it sounds like it does, then if it was my money id buy her a 197 for everyday and then also a Trophy with the change as a weekend beast to share.

The trophy is stunning and rare, i would not pass up a chance to have one if i wasnt a poor student.

If your fund allows between 4k and 12k like it sounds like it does, then if it was my money id buy her a 197 for everyday and then also a Trophy with the change as a weekend beast to share.

The trophy is stunning and rare, i would not pass up a chance to have one if i wasnt a poor student.

She's the one with the well paid job so in fairness it'll be her money, set 10k as the limit really but can obviously go a lot less (hence the Trophy dilemma),its all about getting the right first car for her though.

Both cars are my idea, the cheaper 182 mainly coz its a lot smaller,hold its money and still be ace fun. Buying both would be nice but just not viable tho..

Hi Darren

I have a Trophy & 197 for Sale in the next week or so If you wanted to come & test drive both-
no obligation-

Welcome to the forum

Steve- R-Sport Cars