Claying the Clio

Never clayed my car before, but was thinking with Saturday looking to be a nice day and before the England match i would spend a few hours detailing the clio.

Just looking for some suggestions on what is the best products and how to go about claying a care...im a virgin to this stuff!

Cheers guys/ girls .

I like to use Meguiars clay kit, something like this wil be ideal for you clicky

There is not much to claying, if you get the above kit break the clay into 2 or 3 parts and warm one piece of the clay either in your hand or a bowl of warm water (makes it easier to work with imo)

Then get your quick detailer that comes in the kit and soak a section at a time, don’t be afraid to use to much more the better as it stops the clay from dragging.

What you want to do next is flatten the clay in your hand out and glide the clay bar over the paint in one direction to start with, try not to apply any pressure and just let the clay do the work.

After a while you should be able to tell that the panel is clean of contaminates because the feel of the clay going over the panel will change.

And that’s about it, just make sure you go in one directing at a time and don’t go in circular motions with the clay.

When you notice the clay starts to turn a brownish colour just need the clay so you have a fresh side to work with again.

Also here is a video that might help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcZRj509Ir8

Top tip as well, if you run out of quick detailer then don’t worry, just put some car wash into a bottle and use that as lube make it quite strong though.

IF YOU DROP THE CLAY THEN BIN IT!

Last edited:
Matt ^^^ is spot on tbh mate,

just make sure you wash your car first ( dont dry it ) then wash it again after claying,

IF YOU DROP THE CLAY THEN BIN IT,

HTH helps as well.

matt has it perfect just one more tip dont clay in direct sunlight the lube dries to quick and starts to drag. depending on the level of road grime,tar etc ure removing use the bar that suits u. it comes in aggressive (for overspray and heavy tar spots), mild (i use this for detailing wheels (excessive brake dust and burnt on stuff) fine which is for stubborn bugs really and ultrafine will leave that smooth smooth feeling as u run ure hand over the paint normally used just before a polish and wax