197: Chip or Remap

I'm still pretty new to the 197's (and fast clio's in general) so what would you recommend as a mod, a Chip or a Remap, and who/what would you use to do it?

Can of worms mate, have a nosy round the forum, by chip do u mean an aftermarket ecu? Not really necessary depending on what your plans are for the car

Can of worms mate, have a nosy round the forum, by chip do u mean an aftermarket ecu? Not really necessary depending on what your plans are for the car

Its just gonna be used for fast road use, maybe the very occasional track day but by no means a track car. I see K-tec do a 215bhp upgrade kit, but it's pricey...

Chipping is an old skool term, I chipped my old punto gt. basically chipping involved removed the EPROM and replacing it with another with modified map. You can't chip a 197. You could remap it or run stand alone management neither of which is chipping.

The Clio 197 boasts 197ps not bhp and that's very loosely based on Renaultsport figures, a 197 is typically 180-190bhp, big gains are very hard to come by without big money, a remap will certainly help with driveability but don't expect anything significant despite what some companies claim. I haven't dealt with ktec after watching how aggressively they have dealt with other companies but you won't go wrong with RS Tuning or TDF

Reactions: Cro RS Cup
Ok, cheers for the help lads, I looked up RS tuning and they only do remaps for the clio 2? And the TDF website was lacking any information on, well anything really!

RS Tuning are the gods of all tuning Renault wise, they have done everything except a megane 265 up until now.

What i would say is mod your car first then get it mapped.

It's already got a Miltek exhaust, and I'm starting to look into the V6 airbox at the minute. I'm not really looking for massive power gains, just that little extra low down in the rev range.

It's already got a Miltek exhaust, and I'm starting to look into the V6 airbox at the minute. I'm not really looking for massive power gains, just that little extra low down in the rev range.

And that's where it all begins!!!!

Test drove a megane 225 cup before buying the R27, I liked it, but i prefer the smaller clio, and prefer the 'compromise' it gives in terms of insurance and MPG.

Ive said time and time again.

200 is far more FUN than the Trophy but if I wanted to mod one there is only one way to go.......

i would honestly look at the 64mm throttle body before mapping, this by far helped with low down punch.