Chinese go pro cams

Discussion in 'Latest Technology' started by Sean197, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Sean197

Sean197 Boost Moderator

Fife, Scotland
    Albi 197T
    Has anyone had any experience with these? Looking into a cheap one for track days and go karting etc. and came across this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282010491333

From what I've read basically the plastic exterior is the cheap bit but the actual internals are Sony, Panasonic etc.

Cheers

2. Dystant

Dystant Detailing Dale Paid Member

Manchester
    Clio 200 CUP
    For £16 even if it turned out terrible you're not out of pocket that much to be honest, I say go for it and report back for us :tongueout:

3. montana

montana

North West, UK
    Deep Black 197
    I have a SJCAM (Genuine not copy) and for around £50 they make a solid GoPro alternative, the above may be worth a punt though :grinning:

Sean197 likes this.
  4. KYFO.CO.UK

KYFO.CO.UK Paid Member

Northampton
    R27 TEAM F1 #139
    The SJCAM is the closest to a GoPro you will get, some people say its better.

Sean197 likes this.
  5. Jimmy

Jimmy Good cop Administrator

I've got a GoPro and it is a lovely piece of kit, however I've seen footage from cheaper cams and the quality is just as good. Like with a lot of things, you're paying for the brand name a lot of the time... As said above, for £16 it's definitely worth a go!

Sean197 likes this.
  6. Big Ben

Big Ben Paid Member

Herts
    I was looking at this thread title thinking you'd all lost the plot and were buying Chinese Camshafts:excited:

KYFO.CO.UK and Jimmy like this.
  7. Pav

Pav Moderator

Manchester
    albi blue 197
    £16??hmmm what to think..great price so why not??if it turns out a s***e then you wont beat yourself over it,will you??
    i use 2 of these..
    mini0805

8. Sean197

Sean197 Boost Moderator

Fife, Scotland
    Albi 197T
  9. Pav

Pav Moderator

Manchester
    albi blue 197
    ahh..ok sorry missed that bit..not a bad price either,is it??go for it mate..

10. paskov92

paskov92 Paid Member

Nimbus 197
    I've got a Xiaomi Yi which I think is similar to the SJCAM and the footage you can get from that is decent, was better than my mates go pro from the same track day. I don't think they make them anymore though which is annoying and the sound is rubbish, all you get is a really loud buzz inside my car

11. petercronin

petercronin Paid Member

North East England
    LY FF Clio 200 with Cup Pack
    If I had to put money on it I'd say the internals might well be a copy of a go pro. They've got a bit of history of copying various things haven't they....

12. Greg0986

Greg0986 Paid Member

Somerset
    Albi 200
    I have been looking for a track day and fast road camera for a few days, and the SJ4000 fits the bill. I found a copy of a copy of the original for £13, and ebay just sent me a free £10 off voucher, so even if it is rubbish, I won't have lost a lot. I will report back with a video :wink:

Dystant and Sean197 like this.
  13. Pav

Pav Moderator

Manchester
    albi blue 197
    sounds like a deal you cant refuse Greg..

14. Chris

Chris Bad cop Administrator

Got a bargain there! I've got a cheaper alternative to GoPro and it's a very good piece of kit (it was about £40). When a go pro is up to 10* that you've got to think is it 10 times the camera, and the answer is no...

15. Jimmy

Jimmy Good cop Administrator

Agreed on that Chris - I like my GoPro and I'm glad I've got it, but aside from a couple of bells and whistles, it doesn't offer anything significant over and above the cheaper versions, if all you're wanting to do is a simple recording. You're paying for the brand name, like with a lot of things...

Chris likes this.
  16. Greg0986

Greg0986 Paid Member

Somerset
    Albi 200
    Well it arrived today, and it looks good and the accessories look good, but I am not sure about the quality. It might be because it was the darkest and dreariest day of the year, but I will have to wait for a nice sunny(!) day to test it properly.

Fast delivery though!

17. VolumeX

VolumeX

Clio mk3 197 & 200 20th
    Cool, check for a good sound grab!

18. MrIII

MrIII Paid Member

Many
    I have a Technomate TM Activ+ and to be fair i personally think its better than my old GoPro Hero3 i had and at a fraction of the cost too.