Cheers

Just a quick thanks to a great forum. Fortunately/Unfortunately I sold the Clio yesterday and the lucky owner picked it up this morning, a gentleman in his 40's who wanted to treat himself to a toy.

Although I never personally met up with any of you, thanks for all the feedback/questions and support in the last 2 and a half years.

All the best, and happy driving!

Lee

All the best Lee, and thank you to you for making your contributions to the forum :smile: as Pav says, don't be a stranger, keep in touch.

Thanks. It was a brilliant little motor. Owned for longer than I usually keep my cars which says a lot. Waited a a good few years to hopefully be in a position to own a suitable fun(ish) daily and a garage toy which will be an S2 Elise or Exige/Caterham.

Lee

Best of luck in your future cars Lee. Derby's not too far from leeds and we have a meet there late september if your not busy, come up!

Dont be a stranger!

Thanks. It was a brilliant little motor. Owned for longer than I usually keep my cars which says a lot. Waited a a good few years to hopefully be in a position to own a suitable fun(ish) daily and a garage toy which will be an S2 Elise or Exige/Caterham.

Lee
Excellent choice. If you haven't already, get yourself over to SELOC.
/ex S1 Elise Sport 160 owner and now have a 1.6 K-series Caterham alongside the Clio.

/ex S1 Elise Sport 160 owner and now have a 1.6 K-series Caterham alongside the Clio.

cheers. Owned an S1 a few years back and remember spending a fair bit of time on there and MLOC. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the S160 and Caterham comparison.

I will keep that in mind, Chris. Thanks.

Lee

excellent choice [MENTION=12268]The Wizard[/MENTION]. Happy driving mate.

Hi Jont are you on Seloc mate? If so you must know some of the guys I' going to the Alps tomorrow, 10 Lotuses mainly from Sussex including Henry's S1 honda supercharged chargecooled!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeK8MExNTlE

They are running their own forum as well (TheToad.org) which is more like a closed community really:smile:

I post as jont- on SELOC too. Don't think I've met any of the Sussex crew, but I've seen the odd ToadTV links. I think there was a bit of politicing a couple of years back so they went their own way.

Comparing the Elise and Caterham - I sold the Elise maybe 4 years ago, and have had M100 Elan and Z4M roadster in the meantime, so I can't really do a back to back comparison. The 160 was all about the engine - a grumpy, badly mapped engine which only idled at 1300rpm, would kangaroo around below 2000, and came on cam at 5000 :lol:. But it always felt like you were getting into a mini-GT car, and the bad manners helped with that race-car feel. The Elise was always a precision instrument to drive, but the limit was hard to find (at least with my talent levels at the time) - it was "grip, grip, grip, **** I've spun".

Quite a few people on SELOC have moved to Caterhams recently (it was one of their threads that inspired me to go look at them, although it's always been in the back of my mind as an itch to scratch). The Z4M was just too fast to be enjoyable on the road, and the very long gearing didn't help (3rd was good for just over 100). Moving to the Fens from Bristol, I also went from lovely Welsh tarmac (paid for out of Euro funds) to ****ty lumpy bumpy fen roads where the ride on the BMW meant it was never in contact with the ground - I also had a 306 GTI-6 as a daily which was quicker across the ground than the Z.

Moving to the Caterham - with my weight in the car, it's the same power to weight as the BMW (it's the 135bhp supersport 1.6 engine) - so acceleration is fantastic, but flat out in 6th in the Caterham it will hit 120 :lol: It's very short geared, and the aerodynamics don't help. Driving - it's roadsport suspension, so quite softly sprung. Unlike the elise where you're fairly central in the car, in the Caterham you're sat almost over the rear axle, so you can feel the car moving around a lot more. There's more sensation of speed than the Elise - and it makes an Elise feel more like a normal car! It's also a lot more docile - ultimate grip levels are probably lower than the Elise, but it gives you much more notice that it's getting near the limit of grip so it's easier to push. Having said that, I've done a significant amount of driver training in the last few years, so maybe I'd feel differently about the Elise now. While the engines are tuned to similar amounts, the 1.6 Caterham is much more docile - very tractable even at low revs, no doubt helped by being 200+kg lighter than the Elise.

Caterham is definitely more of a toy than the Lotus. When I was looking to replace the BMW I started looking at Elises again - even had viewings lined up on S1 111S and S2 111S, but ultimately felt both would be a step backwards, while a 111R would be getting too close to the "too fast to enjoy on the road" problem the BMW had. Test drive of the Caterham (particularly with the wonderful 6-speed box) sealed the deal.

cheers,

Jon

I post as jont- on SELOC too. Don't think I've met any of the Sussex crew, but I've seen the odd ToadTV links. I think there was a bit of politicing a couple of years back so they went their own way.

Comparing the Elise and Caterham - I sold the Elise maybe 4 years ago, and have had M100 Elan and Z4M roadster in the meantime, so I can't really do a back to back comparison. The 160 was all about the engine - a grumpy, badly mapped engine which only idled at 1300rpm, would kangaroo around below 2000, and came on cam at 5000 :lol:. But it always felt like you were getting into a mini-GT car, and the bad manners helped with that race-car feel. The Elise was always a precision instrument to drive, but the limit was hard to find (at least with my talent levels at the time) - it was "grip, grip, grip, **** I've spun".

Quite a few people on SELOC have moved to Caterhams recently (it was one of their threads that inspired me to go look at them, although it's always been in the back of my mind as an itch to scratch). The Z4M was just too fast to be enjoyable on the road, and the very long gearing didn't help (3rd was good for just over 100). Moving to the Fens from Bristol, I also went from lovely Welsh tarmac (paid for out of Euro funds) to ****ty lumpy bumpy fen roads where the ride on the BMW meant it was never in contact with the ground - I also had a 306 GTI-6 as a daily which was quicker across the ground than the Z.

Moving to the Caterham - with my weight in the car, it's the same power to weight as the BMW (it's the 135bhp supersport 1.6 engine) - so acceleration is fantastic, but flat out in 6th in the Caterham it will hit 120 :lol: It's very short geared, and the aerodynamics don't help. Driving - it's roadsport suspension, so quite softly sprung. Unlike the elise where you're fairly central in the car, in the Caterham you're sat almost over the rear axle, so you can feel the car moving around a lot more. There's more sensation of speed than the Elise - and it makes an Elise feel more like a normal car! It's also a lot more docile - ultimate grip levels are probably lower than the Elise, but it gives you much more notice that it's getting near the limit of grip so it's easier to push. Having said that, I've done a significant amount of driver training in the last few years, so maybe I'd feel differently about the Elise now. While the engines are tuned to similar amounts, the 1.6 Caterham is much more docile - very tractable even at low revs, no doubt helped by being 200+kg lighter than the Elise.

Caterham is definitely more of a toy than the Lotus. When I was looking to replace the BMW I started looking at Elises again - even had viewings lined up on S1 111S and S2 111S, but ultimately felt both would be a step backwards, while a 111R would be getting too close to the "too fast to enjoy on the road" problem the BMW had. Test drive of the Caterham (particularly with the wonderful 6-speed box) sealed the deal.

cheers,

Jon

Great stuff! Thanks very much.

lee