check injection/check esp messages

My car has started showing messages saying check injection and check esp. Once these messages have appeared it won't go over 3000rpm but if I switch it off then back on all is well, for a few minutes.

Have you got a sprintbooster? If so check that it's all the way home (take it out then push it back in again)

It has done it before but once every few weeks but today it has only been working properly for about 2 miles and I've driven 36

My Sprintbooster has caused this to happen so often that I have had to remove it altogether (the circuit board has come loose in the plastic housing).
If you don't have a Sprintbooster look for loose connections on the various engine sensors.

Last edited:
Like fox said, get it plugged in and take it from there - i wouldnt be driving it in anger in the current state either

Posted this on an older thread: http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?48725-Check-injection-check-ESP

I have had this over the past few months. Took it to Diamond Motors and did some investigation and data logging with Mick there. The key thing to do is get the fault codes read on a CLIP computer. Mine turned out to have an injection ECU internal fault logged (DF038 1.DEF). This fault is not very helpful, though, as it can be caused by a true fault in the injection ECU (e.g. dry joint), or a bad voltage supply (old battery), bad earth (corroded earth strap), or as it turned out with me, bad signals from some component going outside of acceptable parameters. Anyway, read on if that's the fault you have...

We tracked mine down to being likely to be an issue with the throttle pedal potentiometers. The pedal unit has two pots in it, and the ECU averages the measurement to get an indication of position. We logged the voltages on each pot and one was very, very noisy. The injection ECU clearly therefore has a maximum variance between the two pot readings, over which it thinks there is a fault (e.g. problem with one of the analog to digital converters in it), and throws the only fault code it can - the internal fault code. I bought a pedal from a 197 that was being broken and haven't had any issues since.

My advice would be to initially get some electrical contact cleaner and undo every plug you can see in the engine bay, like MAF sensor, coil packs, throttle body, and if you're feeling brave (I didn't, I got Mick at Diamond Motors to do it) the injection ECU connectors too - you'll need to unplug the battery for that. We also did the plug for the throttle pedal. Just in case it is an issue with the throttle body, you can remove it and give it a good clean out - mine had a bad build up of oily gunk.

Then get the fault codes read by a reputable garage, and don't just believe them if they say you need a new ECU as it could be something a lot simpler! The Clio workshop manual has a list of all of the fault codes and the recommended fixes and further diagnostics to be carried out.

Joe

Thanks, I've got it booked in at the garage on Thursday morning. Hopefully it is something simple, although it behaved all 18 miles home today. Strange.

Check ESP & Flashing engine warning light

Evening all,

I have got a 2008 Clio 197, never missed a beat until today.

Check ESP warning light and a flashing engine warning light has come on - the car runs really juddery and is running rough.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Rs tuning plugged their computer into mine and found that the lambda sensor was shorting. But all sorts can cause it to throw up those messages it seems.

I just had them warning lights flash up on my 197 yesterday then car went all jittery , took it to the garage and they plugged it in and said it was a fault with one of the plugs and coil pack so just had new plugs and new coil pack , just picked it up a min ago an now seams ok on the short drive home