Changing the Audio Equipment

Right, as you may have seen i have a 197 heading my way soon :smiley:

Now i like loads of different music and like everyone my ipod is full of some complete rubbish, but i do quite like dance music when in the right mood and want to enjoy it rather than have it distorting.

So what i am thinking is this

A new headunit with bluetooth - http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/sony-dsxs300btx.html

A set of components - http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/hertz-dieci-dsk-130.html (think 13" is right size)

A set of coax - http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/hertz-dieci-dcx-130.html (again think 13 is right size)

Would also like to add a small sub, but no idea how to swap these speakers out lets alone wire in a sub, so will start simple! I dont want to be setting car alarms off as i drive past, just have a decent quality sound system.

Any tips on swapping the speakers would be much appreciated!

What stereo is fitted to the car you are buying, is it the single CD, or the 6CD?

With the 6CD (Cabasse stereo), the bit in the dash is just a CD changer, with the clever bit being under the drivers seat; this makes it more complicated to change to an aftermarket stereo.

Also be aware, that relatively few aftermarket stereos will support the upper dash display, so you may be better looking at an Alpine unit.

Right, as far as i am aware its a single CD changer, thats what the bloke said but he did say he would check and come back to me.

If i didnt get a unit that supported the dash display (not that fussed) (is there a way of telling which do?) what would it display when the radio was on? The time?

Cheers for the reply mate :thumbup:

I think just Alpines will support the external display, with a suitable adaptor, possibly also Sony.

I assume it would just display the time?

I would go for a sony or alpine on the head unit front anyway, just looking forward to getting the car now and starting to spend some cash on it :smiley:

Hi mate, there is an alpine that you can get, not sure which it is tho, it needs sub display compatibility to work with the top display.
i went to an alpine 113BT, then got the adaptor for the steering wheel controls so it all works, the sub display now says renault and nothing else, but im not that bothered.
Speaker wise, the pioneer Q series is a direct replacement, i went for them as didnt have to mess about, just straight out with the old and in with the new (do a search for pioneer renault replacement speakers and im sure you will find them). They are ok, but i think they lack bass a bit. i have some kenwood co ax in the rear that i had lying around in my garage, you can get cable adaptors on ebay which plug into the connecters in the car then straight onto the speaker (so you dont have to cut the wires). You will also need a fascia adaptor as the standard HU is slightly bigger than aftermarket ones, again ebay is the best place to find it :smile:

but i think the lack of bass is something to do with the plastic cup door trims, oh and its a glove box out installation, but pretty easy :smile:

but i think the lack of bass is something to do with the plastic cup door trims, oh and its a glove box out installation, but pretty easy :smile:

I work ina body shop, so will slip one of the lads a bit of beer money and he can whip the glove box out for me 8)

Cheers for the advice though mate. To be fair im not fussed about the display, im quite happy to glance at the stereo for the info i need.

Its mainly the speakers i want to replace, will see if he knows how to do it

this is probably not relevant for you, but for people with a cup, there are no speakers in the rear, but the wires are there, just a casg of plus and play.
Mine sounded bad and i was getting alot of vibration noise, i discovered most of the bad vibration noise was coming from the speaker grills, so i put a bit of tape on the bits that clip into the door cards, sound much much better! :smile: sounds chavy i know, but its done the trick.
To get glove box out, take the silver trim off the dash (it just unclips on the cup) there are 3 torx screws holding the glove box in, and on down the door side, then its out.

I would look at an Alpine or Pioneer for the headunit, Sony don't have the best sound quality. If the alpine supports the display then i would go with that.

If you have a headunit that doesn't support the display then it will just show the time and temperature, like it does when the standard headunit is turned off.

If you have also have the adapter for the steering wheel controls then it will show 'renault' on the display where it normally shows the track number or radio station name aswell as the time and temperature in the normal place.

Front and back speakers are 13cm, you might need some adapters for the wiring but i'm not 100% sure

There are some Pioneer speakers that you can buy that plug straight into the standard wiring and are meant to be an upgrade for the standard ones in the front.

If I was redoing the sound in my car I would put some Dynamat (or some form of sound deadening) around the doors and put some of that anti squeak tape around the grills and around places where the plastics vibrate.

As for HU, Pioneer or Apline would be what I would go for but its upto you what you get, might be worth going to a car audio place (not Halfords :smiley:) and seeing what they recommend.

Right, at the minute i have changed my views on headunit... found an alpine or kenwood one which you can change the colours to match the dash which would be useful.

And as for speakers, does it come with tweeters?