Cat and Fiddle Run

Paul

Platinum Member
Dont know if any one else has seen this on the news over the past few days. The legendary Cat and Fiddle run is to get average speed cameras along its route. They will be spread over 12miles and with a reduced limit of 50mph it has pretty much ruined a great road!

Talk about nanny state! I accept that it is to reduce the number of casualties but Im sure we all know the risks associated with country roads + speed. I cannot see why everyone should be punished because some people cant drive. It says there have been 264 'casualties' since 2001 which is really a drop in the ocean compared to the number of vehicles which will have been over in the past 10 years!

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=21534

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/8516133.stm

...I blame the motor bikes on this one.....anyway, you can still have fun by dooing 50mph even in the bends!! Eventually every road in the country will be 50mph as they will lower the NSL so we should get used to it....motorways will be tracked with average speed cameras across the whole network.....we'll all be safe and use less fuel. The days of fast cars are numbered!!

give this government time and everwhere will be covered with cameras............:@!:@!:@!:@!

Am I right in thinking average speed cameras are always forward facing meaning bikers can go as fast as they like?! Just the car users who cant have fun no more!!

Am I right in thinking average speed cameras are always forward facing meaning bikers can go as fast as they like?! Just the car users who cant have fun no more!!

I always wonder that myself about bikes and average speed cameras....unless the other carriageway will pick them up, but I doubt it.....

I've done the Cattle & Fiddle run alot first thing in the morning, when there's very little traffic. But last year in November, my Cousin was killed by a motorbike 'T boneing' him. He was in his late 50's and was killed instantly ... So I stopped doing that run first thing in the morning. I sometimes now do the triumph motorcycle test route - Melton Mowbray to Market Harborough. Not so many police, no helicopters and it's not a main through road.

Meh... was inevitable i suppose...

But there are far superior roads and routes in Derbyshire alone :wink: its just that everyone knows about the Cat :tongueout: