Carchecker.?

jase

Founder
Platinum Member
Anyone got carchecker, parkers or anything.?

Trying to find any details on this car...

Megane cabriolet. Mk2

DY58TPF
RENAULT
MEGANE DYNAM S VVT 111
GREY
Full leather
24500 miles
£5495

???

3 Registered Keepers, last keeper 14/04/2011.

Recorded as a Cat D Insurance write-off on 28/08/2010

:/

Doesn't a seller have a legal obligation to disclose any write-off history now?

Thanks for your help.
what about reg number... HN55 EWG.? :wink:

Last edited:
Doesn't a seller have a legal obligation to disclose any write-off history now?

I've asked him, so let's see what he says.

What are catD repairs worth compaired to normal prices do you recon.?
More like 3k instead of 5.5k

Yea checked with MyCarCheck, used it in the past. Annoyingly last used it when going to view car for the misses, an when got there could tell straight away it was a Cat-D so pretty reliable. Barer of bad news, sorry :tongueout:

Yeah it should drop a fair old whack off the price.

I can't remember the exact wording for it but I think Cat-D is something that's ''not economically viable to repair but hasn't caused any major damge to structural areas''... Or something like that. Could be something as simple as it being keyed all the way round and having the windows put through rather than anything too nasty.

As long as it's been repaired properley then it should be ok, but I personally would spend a little more and get something straight.

Thanks so much for your help.

Why does 4 keepers concern me more than catD.? :worried:

Could be a mobility car that's been passed through the family? Or registered to a private dealer, then an owner, then a private dealer, then an owner etc..

I'm with Luke on this one, if it's been looked after then it wouldn't bother me.

4 keeps for a 6 year old car isn't that bad. My 58 Clio had 3 owners when I p/x'd it. But the first 2 were Renault, it was a company car then they owned it whilst selling it. Then I had it. Just gone to 3 years old, and HN reg is the port at which Renaults come in, so possibly the same as my Clio, a demo or company car. My 197 reg was HN58 UKE.

CAT A-B you will never see they are crushed straight away, CAT C always look at the bottom of the logbook in the special note it says this car has been substantially damaged/repaired. Cat D is a tricky one because it doesnt show on the logbook. i buy and sell cars for a living and was stung very early on, bought a car got it home noticed a few things wernt quite right had a good look at the logbook thats how i found out. in terms of pricing. Cat C 10% cheaper. Cat D 5%. a lot of people are really put off buy accident damaged cars, but if the seller is up front about it then normally there isnt a lot to worry about, but be careful in term of resale popularity.

A cat D car will not appear on the V5, only on HPI type checks.

Cat A cars are normally burnt out wrecks and nothing of value only scrap, cat B cars are breakers only and you need to be a registed breaker to buy these.

I've been told, by the trading standards people that a private seller does not have to tell you if it's a cat C/D car unless you ask, a dealer has to tell you if it is full stop.

I bought a car once not knowing it was a cat C until i got the log book back but he'd not told me it was, he said he did'nt have to tell me as i did not ask.

Fortunatly for me he'd wrote me a reciept on his business headed paper so i got some money back.

I went all the way to liverpool to see a 197 cup, 08 reg and it has had 5 owners, been on his forcourt nearly 5 months too, it's still on ebay.