Car Stall Out!

I've recently noticed an issue where if I start the car when it's been standing overnight, so cold, I can just press the throttle VERY slightly, and the car will drop in revs and nearly die; it then catches itself and re-idles.

It's also gotten noticably difficult to rev match when the car is cold as sometimes a full throttle tap to blip the revs does NOTHING. It just coughs and splutters.

Warm, as usual, is working beautifully and pulls decently as always.

Someone mentioned an Air leak or lambda? Can anyone confirm?

Car is Decatted, Non-Res Scorpion with a KTR Intake. Think it has just come to the point where it needs a map now?

Last edited:
I've recently noticed an issue where if I start the car when it's been standing overnight, so cold, I can just press the throttle VERY slightly, and the car will drop in revs and nearly die; it then catches itself and re-idles.

My car does this too, always has done since I've owned it. It's stock other than a panel filter. Just a symptom of the BS cold start issues Clio's have I think :smile:

I think [MENTION=54245]sevenfourate[/MENTION] has had some positive cold start improvement after his remap

My car does this too, always has done since I've owned it. It's stock other than a panel filter. Just a symptom of the BS cold start issues Clio's have I think :smile:

I think @sevenfourate has had some positive cold start improvement after his remap

I did.

When i replied / spoke about it i hadnt had a single cold start "hiccup" - in like the first 2 or 3 weeks since the remap. I have since had literally two. Both lasted milliseconds (One stutter - i backed off throttle ; and it then never happened again).

So not 100% perfect. Biu literally 98% better than stock.

I did.

When i replied / spoke about it i hadnt had a single cold start "hiccup" - in like the first 2 or 3 weeks since the remap. I have since had literally two. Both lasted milliseconds (One stutter - i backed off throttle ; and it then never happened again).

So not 100% perfect. Biu literally 98% better than stock.
Is it normal that the car judders on part throttle when cold then? I've always backed off too and upon pressing the throttle it's normal again.

Temptemental buggers these cars and expensive in maintenance too...

Is it normal that the car judders on part throttle when cold then? I've always backed off too and upon pressing the throttle it's normal again.

Temptemental buggers these cars and expensive in maintenance too...

Dont know about "normal" - but very,very common yes. A Clo RS trait shall we say..............

As you found, I could almost guarantee on a cold start in a morning, if I give the accelerator a real gentle prod, the revs will blip up, quite sharply/abnormally, then drop to like 900 rpm, stutter as though the car is going to stall and then go back to idle at 1100 (this is while still sitting in neutral without having driven/moved anywhere)

Car seems to idle at 1100 when cold, slowly dropping to 900 as it warms up. I think by touching the throttle, the car literally gets confused about what it should be idling at, drops to 900 which is "normal/warm" idle, realises oh **** I;m still cold, and spikes up to warm itself up again haha.

As you found, I could almost guarantee on a cold start in a morning, if I give the accelerator a real gentle prod, the revs will blip up, quite sharply/abnormally, then drop to like 900 rpm, stutter as though the car is going to stall and then go back to idle at 1100 (this is while still sitting in neutral without having driven/moved anywhere)

Car seems to idle at 1100 when cold, slowly dropping to 900 as it warms up. I think by touching the throttle, the car literally gets confused about what it should be idling at, drops to 900 which is "normal/warm" idle, realises oh **** I;m still cold, and spikes up to warm itself up again haha.
I've always been told the ECUS in these cars are good but I think that's a fine example of **** programming.

Alright. Thanks all I feel a bit better about it now.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Tested this morning, turned engine on, left to sit for 5 seconds or so, tapped throttle, revs blipped up, then down to 900, almost stalled, back up again. I attempted to blip the throttle again, but it seemed to remember to idle at 1100 after the first time :smile:

Tested this morning, turned engine on, left to sit for 5 seconds or so, tapped throttle, revs blipped up, then down to 900, almost stalled, back up again. I attempted to blip the throttle again, but it seemed to remember to idle at 1100 after the first time :smile:
That'd pretty much how it is lol!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk