Can't stop thinking about a GT86

TB Rich

Paid Member
Not had the Clio long but I think I have a rwd itch and a 5 year warranty away from Renault sounds o-so-tempting.

Anybody come from or gone to a GT86 got any real world experiances? Will it be a drift fest or are they too feckless for that?

Not my pics but a couple getting me moist right now!

9617078865_a9670c35c4_c.jpgFlush Scion FRS by 636i, on Flickr

DSC_0027-2%231-XL.jpg

Beautiful car but very slow.. I'd love one but it'd have to have a supercharger chucked on it and a mountain of carbon.

That modded one in the pics looks the dogs ball's and prob cost a few bob to get it there,Litchfield do a SC with warranty for around 3k brings it up to 280bhp.

Yeah they look so good in white on those red rims don't they. I think in general the Clio looks better, certainly standard for standard. But only a few tweaks can get the 86 looking sweet.

Im not a fan of boost in anyway shape or form, give me a set of bodies anyday. I'm going to have to get a test drive I think, but it seams a new MY15 model is out so would make sense to wait for that one. I was thinking I could sell my Supersprint and get my money back on the Recaros I haven't even fitted yet. Plus the AD08R's that have just gone on are the same profile as an 86 so no money lost there. It's just a question of pace or lack of...... hmmm?

Alternative is an E93 M3, but budget would dicate an earlier one and I'm not sure about the running costs.
6354559717_91b36b89cb_z.jpgMineral White E92 M3 Red Volk TE37 1 by european auto source, on Flickr

Think I've got a red on white fetish!! :smiley:

Their was one on here in Orange @aspen @TB Rich

I've had my orange one for just over a year now. Still love it. It's no faster than the clio. Performance is very similar.

I love the handling and it's great fun to drive all the time. I used to find the clio was fine at town speeds but only came alive when you thrashed it. I like sitting really low and the interior is more than adequate after my 200 cup.

In the dry, the grip on the standard michelins is good and you have to try quite hard to overcome it. In the wet you can have a lot of fun at slower speeds. Fuel economy is better for me. I get around 30mpg with mostly town driving. The clio was about 26 but it's not a huge difference. There are a load of aftermarket options for tweaking it to your liking. I haven't touched mine yet but I have a growing list of things I'd like to do!

At first I was worried I might miss the clio but I haven't missed it once. The back seats are fairly useless for me as I'm tall. I can still squeeze a mountain bike in the back with the rear seats down though!

I've got quite a lot of experience in this... Done a lot of miles in a GT86 in a variety of situations.

It's a very different experience to the clio, slightly slower in a straight line although a higher top speed (I hit 149mph in one in Germany, yet to even try in the Clio). I prefer the seats in the Clio (recaros) although the GT86 seats are good. The steering wheel not having buttons for radio is annoying and pedal spacing isn't great for heel & toe unless braking hard unlike the clio which I find great. GT86 will get better fuel economy slightly and is a lot more civilised on a motorway (I get headaches in the Clio as it's geared too short). The toys (nav, bluetooth audio, heated seats) are a nice bonus and although it is pretty similar it feels a lot less plastic inside. The GT86 channels some induction noise into the cabin too which is quite nice for having quite a quiet car while still being noisy if you're on it. Some people love it, some hate it (you can unplug it if you want)

If you want to drift day to day then it's difficult to initialise a drift under power and you need a sneaky clutch kick to get the back sliding, it's then got enough power to keep it out though. On track (I was on track today in the GT86, see pic below) if you want to do good drifts you need to go really fast into a corner and just chuck it into a slide. Again, it's got enough power once in a slide and is very adjustable and goes where you want it, but it'd be nicer with more power.

13967194777_60e80c576c_h.jpg

Attachments

• drift.jpg
    drift.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 21
cheers guys.

Aspen I understand what you mean about the Clio needing be driven hard to excite, which invetiably is only a small percentage of my driving really. Which is why I thought a rwd car could deliver more fun more of the time, i.e every round about give it a boot full and just have some slip at legal speeds.
However it sounds like it wont do that though given it's lack of power? I don't think the idea of kicking the clutch to step the back out is going to deliver me the sensible fun at normal speeds I'm after....?!

Didn't realise it had fake sound either, I'll have to investiagte that but that is a massive turn off for me. I was appaled when the new M5 had it and equally disgusted by the new Clio for having it.

grass is always greener with me though, I don't think I'll ever be happy!!

The ducting is very different to the M5, the M5 is actually played through the speakers, the GT86 is a pipe from the engine bay into the cabin and actually sounds nice IMO.

Go test drive one and see what you think. I had a lot of fun in the one I had and would probably pick one over a Clio if I had the money

I had a test drive in one before I got the clio.

Really liked the seating position, as it just feels like a sports car compared to the mini-van seat height of the clio. Has roughly the same amount of power as the clio which is more than enough for british roads. The piped sound isn't too bad, and can be plugged with a couple of earbuds. Stunning seats and generally really liked it.

Unfortunately I didn't go for one over the clio because there was a £8k difference in cost, plus the £2k for new wheels and tyres to get rid of the shocking toyota ones. Will have one when they come down in price though :smile:

Yep the standard wheels are truly dreadful arn't they.

Yeah I had a quick look at the sound thing, I misunderstood GFWilliams and just assumed speaker sound. A resonator arrangement doesn't bother me, by the time some nice overnight parts from Japan get fitted it'd be loud anyway. I've decided I will definatley go for a test drive once the MY15 spec is in the showrooms. Too tempting a package not too really.

I have got my recaro sidemounts coming today so I can trial fit everything hopefuly this weekend, should solve the mini-van seating issue in the Clio which is one of my annoyances. Also imagine they'd be pretty pimping in the GT too. Recaro's are never a waste of money??!!

If they make this version though the extra leg room for the kids would be a no brainer.
Toyota-GT86-Shooting-Brake2-640x359.jpg

I wasn't a big fan of the piped sound at first but it has grown on me a lot.

It is genuine induction sound piped into the drivers footwell and can easily be plugged or removed if you upgrade the intake.

That shooting brake concept is cool! Rear leg room is definitely lacking but fortunately it wasn't a consideration for me.

I've been in a turbo'd BRZ and it was fast but I didn't get out thinking I want to do the same to mine. I like it as it is (for the time being anyway, Cosworth are unveiling some upgrades next week...).

Great looking car but if you think the clios run under too much dont expect more from the Toyota, their press car ran 172bhp (give or take a few bhp each way) and many others seem to be the same.