Can't locate knocking noise after £1000 being spent on her

Buddyboy

Platinum Member
Well it's been an expensive week took my car to the garage with a knocking noise from NSF area , garage said sounded like the shock so had it changed along with my master cylinder as that was gone too . Knock was still there so they changed the upper and lower ball joints still got the knock also changed the inner and outer track rod ends earlier in the year too for the same noise this all happened since lowering the car on the H&R springs never had it till then . Rang 519 for some advice to see if changing to some different springs would help Danny was very helpful on the phone would be happy to do the springs but felt it wouldn't help as he didn't think it was the springs. Good thing I got my warranty to pay for all this, my garage are now thinking wishbone , antiroll bar stabiliser link the short one but they checked them and said everything's tight under there . Not sure really what to do now . So now I have a cup suspension sitting in my house which is ok as I had the other shock and rears done to match also at my own cost lol

It was the bottom arm's on my 250 that made a slight knock over bumps. I know it's not the same car but a similar design on the front suspension !

I have the exact same noise by the way you describe. dan @519 checked everything when changing the springs but could not find anything. I bet its something novel in the end. Let me know as atleast your bills on warranty.

Funny thing was my lower hub joint had play when it was taken apart so we were pretty much confident it was that as I had one from R Sport so made sense to pop that in while doing the upper . Might order lemforder drop and rotation link bars £50 for both and claim a wishbone under warranty but if that doesn't cure it all out of ideas garage said everything's looks nice and new on that side lol R Sport said I could leave the car with them for the week for them to look at In between jobs first thing they said they would do would be to swap shocks around but don't want to rack up a big labour charge and it's not sorted.

Last edited:
Is it a metallic knock?might be the top mount bearing loose this is what i had a problem with over speed bumps and such,Got two new top mounts and all sorted now.

If you have the lower balljoint replaced it has to be done meticulously as just pressing the old one out and pressing a new one in, the metal can be deformed in the hub and after a couple of weeks the new balljoint starts to rock and cause knocking. Just a thought before you spend more money.

Well I've ordered the anti rotational small link bar and drop link as they were £50 for both to try and eliminate some of the cheaper options also rang Mark fish today who thinks it might be the H&R spring since this only happened when changed going to see Mark this afternoon as he's had a lot of experience with suspension. How easy is it to change the top mounts is it a shock out job ?

I like the sound of a new top mount how will I tell if it is the top mount thats loose?
If the bearing in the mount has play in or realy loose as mine was it knocks on the strut,They need to be taken out to check.
Well I've ordered the anti rotational small link bar and drop link as they were £50 for both to try and eliminate some of the cheaper options also rang Mark fish today who thinks it might be the H&R spring since this only happened when changed going to see Mark this afternoon as he's had a lot of experience with suspension. How easy is it to change the top mounts is it a shock out job ?
Think it would not take Mark Fish long to check the bearing in the mount just pop them out and see if there is play in the bearing.

So I'm going to apologise in advance but I'm gunna hit you with some questions.

Is is it easy to remove the top mounts and replace them?

Could i do it at home?

do both need replacing or can I just replace one?

cheers for the help

Right guys just got back from Mark Fish and as you all know the cars had a bit of money spent on it this week for a knocking noise had all the expensive parts changed i.e. shock,hub joints but still still couldn't find it. Mark had it fore just over an hour £108 and found this.20140221_151507_zpsajdgfdai.jpg

Last edited: