Calling all camera/photo experts

M

Mentalpen

Ok stick with me on this.

For those that do track days i'm sure you will be aware that there is a shift to none suction mounts. Yes there are some that still allow suction mounts but its getting fewer and fewer.

So i need a none suction mount for the iphone, there are none in production (lifeproof used to do one but no longer produce it)

So i have come up with a cunning plan. I'm going to use a case with tripod mount onto a gopro tripod mount adapter onto a gopro grab bag mount kit.

However i need to know what i need to attach the gopro mount to the case

so what is the yellow arrow pointing too?
2mhtwys.jpg

is it a 1/4" Tripod Screw To Flash Hot Shoe Adapter?

EASd6ThrhEkI-D0S7IyaBbyMlmXShvSikppX92Na8gWZ2zOiltrwqxIEVcRz7o9RMsF0k0vc5k35peLW_xoaIrr51WunzJ2Iz2JpeN_7F6ESWBKLZxrMQ87UTqqWMFsV1OfuUvKh1xkSsISOPSypPsuz2QgWz8qBhBgGH7BaqeJ37zC61n5abg40Walzh1135nyC4rm6Vl6BZyNlr6dvq4H88LGbLuvpwmQ8tkw=s120-c

or perhaps i need one like this to secure both sections?

i-Yj7aSdP_f7qDtYhZ08TNfNAPFXnSoPP0NduCrvi4aV73_uGJdt2_M-21uxdaK51Rb6yFT4yqI_jrKkJFSA5awBSbysCCEUuJ-0-fO99jyXAeM_fsqpDcdc7Jk39-rewj3WvIP3X0_ha6NRGyFpcsRHdzbNM6gHit-p1DDV5PAviGOv87-7qtpq795LJxZ2_peLG1BZTYR7OR6z42PRNVUxpmlXXXhT3t0bV_o=s120-c

so the mount looks like

903g1x.jpg

with the 1/4" Tripod Screw To Flash Hot Shoe Adapter? going into the slot indicated by the yellow arrow

then the gopro tripod adapter onto that

gopro-tripo-med.jpg

and finally a grab bag to stick it to the windscreen when used.

GrabBag1%5B1%5D.jpg

bit of a faff but its the most secure i can come up with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers but its the ram mount that is an issue as its a suction cup.

They do an iPhone mount but only in suction form.

I need a attached setup so with gopro being an excepted standard I want to try and get an iPhone secured with a gopro mount.

Cheers but its the ram mount that is an issue as its a suction cup.

They do an iPhone mount but only in suction form.

I need a attached setup so with gopro being an excepted standard I want to try and get an iPhone secured with a gopro mount.

I meant more the RAM arms than the base, as they're geared towards normal camera mounts.

I meant more the RAM arms than the base, as they're geared towards normal camera mounts.

Sorry i don't follow?

What are you saying i need to hold the phone and then to get it onto a gopro quick release mount?

One of these:

RAM-HOL-AP9U1.jpg

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResu...65077045072079076045065080057085/Default.aspx

on one of these:

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResu...45066045051055056045050051056085/Default.aspx

RAP-B-378-238U.jpg

Or try the wizard they have: http://www.rammount.com/Products/CellPhoneMounts/tabid/142/Default.aspx#/ it guides you through the phone you have and the mounting style you want.

Don't get me wrong the GoPro stuff is good, but the RAM stuff I've used on bikes is better at taking heavier items and more flexible.

Nice one I'd look but only ever found suction ones!

Didn't see the wizard :smile:

So you adhesive the round plate with the small ball on and everything else is removable off it?

That's a far better solution if so!

Bonded ones are "usually" acceptable yes.

But I'll bond it on the windscreen personally.

So I will use the following options looking at the pics it will just leave the adhesive ball part when not in use.

ha5yvu2y.jpg

ok after speaking with anymount.co.uk i ordered.

RAM-B-238 - Diamond Base with 1" Ball
RAM-HOL-AP9 - Apple iPhone 4 / 4S Holder
RAP-B-378 - 2.5" composite adhesive base with 1" ball
RAP-B-201-A - Double Socket Short Arm 1" Ball

he wasn't sure how strong the adhesive base would be and advised a clamp but i wasn't sure it would fit on the rear view mirror and stretch past the patterned bit at the top and as i also have recaros it can't go on a head rest.

and he even gave me a discount code! 41rpl4ne

ok after speaking with anymount.co.uk i ordered.

RAM-B-238 - Diamond Base with 1" Ball
RAM-HOL-AP9 - Apple iPhone 4 / 4S Holder
RAP-B-378 - 2.5" composite adhesive base with 1" ball
RAP-B-201-A - Double Socket Short Arm 1" Ball

he wasn't sure how strong the adhesive base would be and advised a clamp but i wasn't sure it would fit on the rear view mirror and stretch past the patterned bit at the top and as i also have recaros it can't go on a head rest.

and he even gave me a discount code! 41rpl4ne

:thumbsup:

I imagine the adhesive for the ball mount is just like the 3M pads you get with the gopro.
Just make sure the surface you attach to is relatively smooth, that's why mine went on the display pod in the middle as the rest of the dash is too textured.

I you stick it to the windscreen it should be rock solid though.

Show us some pics when you get it :smile:

Will do, says 3-5 day delivery with dispatch being tomorrow.

If its no good I will order some M3 GoPro tapes and use 2 and cut them to the shape.

Going to mount it top right of the screen as the iPhone needs to be mounted with the camera top left in landscape, so it will sit in view.

This will be handy when only timing as I will be able to see if I'm up or down on my times with harrys laptimer. Under the next version (around a year away) video recording will be enabled in background so ill be able to video and keep a quick eye on laptimes.

Also looking at getting an iPhone 5 or another 4s and using PinP and facing one towards me.

Sorry for not updating this.

In short Royal Mail lost the parcel. Wasn't an issue I just rung anymount up and they resent it out without issue, sadly a part wasn't in stock and I was offered an upgrade free but wanted the specific one so I asked to wait for it which was a week. It then was despatched the day it came in and I missed the post so only picked it up today.

Anyway it's the most solid mount I've ever seen and shouldn't be an issue on track days what so ever. I'm very impressed and just gotta decide if I'm gonna get another iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 (bit too large fir my wants i think) to add multi cam to my videos for picture in picture affect.

Anyway here are some pre mounted pics.

All bagged up in bits so you can spec specific you own mount
yge9a5uj.jpg

Massive adhesive area
3abevy3u.jpg

Cradle with nylock nuts!
jujamuqy.jpg

I opted for the short arm to keep movement minimal
berymehu.jpg

Cradle to arm attachment
6ehegybe.jpg

All joined up
ybepu8am.jpg

and lastly with the phone in that is locked in place with charging socket fee to charge still
1em5hu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: