CAE-Shifter for Clio 3 RS

If they did one of these for the megane i'd be very tempted to get one for my other Clio.

On a plus note, I managed to find one of those pockets to replace the radio. must be out of a proper poverty spec Clio :lol:

Thread back from the dead. I stumbled across these today. They look fantastic. Has anyone gone for one of these and fitted to the Clio 200? I am tempted with one. Although my standard shift is pretty dam precise already, I love the look of these and the fact it moves the gearstick so close to the driver. It's very much like my Satchshift in my 106 Rallye.

I'd be very wary as with anything which quickens the shift will place more strain on the synchros, which are already a known weakpoint on these. In fact you should be very well aware of this sort of thing having an MA box in your Rallye!! Satchshift's wern't out when I had mine, I just had the TAS item which was basically crap.

As long as the pivot points are all properly moved and so you're not looking at masses of increased leverage and force, then they might be ok....but for the shocking amount of money they cost I'd give it a miss IMO. I mean £800 on a shifter which if you reduce the throw will probably **** your box..... actually you gotta be nuts to consider it!

I don't think this will put the same amount of strain on an MA box as say perhaps the satchshift may do, as its cable rather than a mechanical rose jointed assembly, but I see what you are saying. This looks to be a well designed unit so I doubt it will be something that damages the box but obviously it depends on how viciously you change. Like everything a bit of mechanical sympathy is required and common sense in use. If anything having the shifter that much closer to hand will be of benefit when driving quickly whether it be on track or road. Surely someone must have one? Yes £800 is a lot of money but it's a proper piece of equipment. I had a tas shift on my Saxo years ago too. Wasn't too bad but no way near as good as this or the satchshift.

Unless it was for a competition car I wouldn't bother. No matter how good it is, the concept itself puts increased strain on the box internals. You'll find yourself thinking about how fast to change gear instead of just changing gear. Thus you'll not be changing any faster. I wouldn't even bother for a trackday car.

No, but I've mostly made functional mods which improve the car. Plus recaros, and one or two small things.

This quick shift would improve a race car but not a road car.
I do about 15000 miles a year, it would knacker the box up in no time.

You could argue that there is no point modifying a car full stop though. I do see what you're saying but I don't agree.

Ah cool. I just thought he may have been taking the mic what with the rebuild gearbox comment![emoji14]

In that case keep me posted please bud. Would appreciate photos and your comments and idea of how difficult it is to install etc. thanks.

Ha.. Yeah dead serious. As Chris says, it will be for the Cup racer project. Gotta strip and rebuild box first thou so could be next year now.
There are a couple of vids on YouTube of a 197 with one fitted if you haven't seen already.
CAE-Shifters are an awesome bit of kit and well engineered. Allowing safer, faster and more accurate shifts. Look forward to testing one in the car once up and running.

Ok thanks pal. So what's your take on the observations above that it kills synchros etc? I don't buy it!!

If I still had my 197 the last thing I'd be doing is putting any more stress on the gearbox of these cars, they are made of chocolate.