Buying my 200 Cup

Hi guys,

Another new member to the forum and hopefully a new 200 Cup owner soon. Might as well introduce myself first. I'm Jack and currently in talks with one Renault dealership with my 200 order and just after some answers and helpful info before l take the next step.

Firstly, I'll say when I do buy my 200 Cup, I will be buying it on finance over a 3 year period. I have a couple of questions I'm hoping you guys can help me with as I've never brought a new car before but finally my situation has changed job wise and I'm looking to treat myself whilst I can.

1) I've only driven a standard 200 and I loved it. I will be buying the Cup, how different does the quicker steering rack change the feel and how noticeable is the firmer ride?

2) What sort of figures (if you don't mind sharing) do you pay on finance Clios? If don't mind sharing, what spec & deposit did you put down to begin with?

3) If there anything I should be making the dealer throw in and is there anything to catch me out?

Any extra information would be great and very appreciated.

Thanks, Jack :smile:

Your choice options on a Cup are A/C, Speedlines and Recaro seats, but don't unless you are planning on keeping it at the end of the term, they will increase the monthly payment but won't necessarily get you more for the car later.

Are you getting a FF with Cup pack, or a Cup? The Cup is quite basic compared to the FF.

I bought my 1st brand new car, a 200 Cup, last November. Like you, i only test drove a ff with Cup packs. As soon as i picked my Cup up i noticed the ride was noticeably hard. Now, 6 months on, i love the car but often wish id have gone for the Full fat version as the Cup is so basic inside! This is obviously benificial on the track, but as a daily driver its awful! Im used to the rock hard suspension, but my gf now refuses to go in it as it hurts her back! Plus, it now squeeks and rattles like a bitch!
I got mine when Lookers were doing them dirt cheap, so i pay £200 a month with a £1000 deposit over 2 years, then a payment at the end. I paid for my Speedlines up.front ao as not to bump up the payments. My dealer wouldnt give anything for free, and the excitement got the better of me and i didnt push!!
In short, test drive a Cup if you can just to feel if you can live with the suspension and poverty spec cabin!
Oh, and the standard seats are fine so save yourself £1k!

If you can stretch the extra for a full fat with cup chassis, go for it, the little extras do make all the difference. And once the car settles in the cup suspension isnt that bad. cant comment on the quicker steering rack as I havnt driven a non cupped FF.

As for the the differences between the two different cups on the track, there isnt one unless you are Lewis Hamilton and can put in consitent lap times on the limit within 0.01 of a second of each other, If you can drive like that get the basic cup.

I bought my 1st brand new car, a 200 Cup, last November. Like you, i only test drove a ff with Cup packs. As soon as i picked my Cup up i noticed the ride was noticeably hard.

I doubt there's much difference ride quality wise between a straight Cup and FF Cup - they both have the same suspension don't they? FF just means it comes with extra fruit (and weight).

but my gf now refuses to go in it as it hurts her back! Plus, it now squeeks and rattles like a bitch!

Did that all happen from driving or some other activity? :rofl:

I think Nath is spot on when he says both Cups have the same suspension, the weight difference is only about 30KG. This would equate to a rough advantage of 0.01 secs in the quarter mile.

Whatever you choose you'll sure to love it, just like the telly says "pound for pound the most exciting car you can buy"

I test drove all three varients before i purchased; FF, FF with cup pack and a cup. Didnt really notice the difference in steering if im hosest. I found the FF with cup pack best of both worlds if you dont mind paying the extra.
For me, the must have option is the Recaros. Yes they're expensive but dam they are comfortable!
Whatever you chose you'll love it :smile:

Personally wouldn't touch a cup. The interior is basic, and I believe you lose reach adjustment on the steering, which I wouldn't be without!
The cup suspension offers better body control, and quicker reactions. But the ride is far worse.
I went for standard sport suspension, and on road/track I'm more than happy with it.

I have a AG200 with the optional Cup chassis , one of my best friends has recently purchased an AB 200 non cup. A few weeks ago we took both cars (with the Mrs(s)) for a bit of a Jaunt to whitby from Leeds, we decided to go over the tops and sample a few of the stunning roads and scenery. We had a little play here and there , I can honestly say that there was absolutely no way on this earth that I could keep up with him on those surfaces. The cup chassis is exceptional and I mean EXCEPTIONAL when the roads are good and/or on track. If the roads are not perfect then the car is a real handful, the steering goes light/normal/light/normal with every single bump in the road. I found myself having to try dodge every pothole/bump on the straights , if I didn't the car felt like it was about to disintegrate.
No doubt some will say its the driver , so we swapped on the way back . His car was like silk over the bumps , hardly any teeth jarring moment throughout. A few miles down the road I pulled over and waited......he got out and said he couldn't cope with it , the ride on those roads was ridiculous.
Sure I could have pushed it , broken the suspension , buckled an alloy , killed a sheep and then gone on a website saying how the cup chassis cant be caught in the 'twisties' but the fact is that unless the roads are smooth then youve got no chance as the ride is extremely harsh. I had a 197 non cup for 2 years and the 200 with cup chassis for almost 2 years , both chassis are superb in their own right but you must decide what you feel the majority of the driving will be done on.

On the local rat run near my house the car is superb, the grip is outstanding , I can chuck it into roundabouts and the car defies physics. Try going around a bend on road full of potholes and bumps and expect to call the dentist.
If I was to order again I would go for the cup chassis though , mainly because 95% of the time the roads are fine. If I had a small child and it was my daily drive then I would probably spec the non cup , they are both just as capable( if been driven by average Joe) and the latter wont mean that the baby started like with a deformed spine..........I do love my car though!!!