Brake discs

I'm very happy with the MTEC and I know [MENTION=522]Robo_#1[/MENTION] & [MENTION=5005]jakehewitt[/MENTION] have them too.

It depends what you'll be using the car for really.

I've never had any issues with the standard Brembo HC discs (£99 from Next Day Brakes or about £145 from Renault but they're the exactly the same apart from the box they come in) on road or on track. The Clio is overbraked anyway and the discs aren't the weakest point of the setup. The Cup race cars use the same discs as the road cars to give you an idea of how good they are...

I think Robo is using the MTec discs and he seems happy with them from what he's said to me. You've got a few options really, Fernandez can sort you out some very tasty two-piece ones and the usual suspects like Tarox make nice grooved or/and drilled items too. A lot of it is down to personal preference with brakes as everyone feels things and uses them differently anyway.

Iv been well chuffed with them, on standard Brembo pads but there's a good improvement from the standard setup

Only advice is go for the black bells. I went standard colour and they've rusted, but nothing a wire brush and tin of hammerite can't fix

Are these discs worth getting over the standard ones? Might need to replace my brake discs / pads soon and looking at these MTEC Discs with the Brembo Pads. :smile:

Are these discs worth getting over the standard ones? Might need to replace my brake discs / pads soon and looking at these MTEC Discs with the Brembo Pads. :smile:

Yes, even with the standard pads I feel like there's much more bite than the standard discs

Yes, even with the standard pads I feel like there's much more bite than the standard discs

Awesome. I will just have to work out the price difference. I've been quoted £380 for genuine Renault discs and pads all round. Might get a quote for just the standard pads from Renault and get these MTEC Discs to go with them.

How much do you think I'd be looking at to pay a garage to fit them? 1 or 2 hours labour?

Last edited:
How much do you think I'd be looking at to pay a garage to fit them? 1 or 2 hours labour?

If the pins come out easily then 1-2 hours should cover it. If they don't come out easily then it could take twice that just to get the pins out, you'll be then looking at another £60 for new pins (genuine Brembo) or £40 for uprated for new pins.

I just paid £110.18 for genuine Renault pads from my dealer, that is for fronts and rears, not sure if that is good or not? I heard that that Megane disc's fit and are a bit better, someone who's done it will be along shortly.

New pins from Eurocarparts are £15 for the 4 with the pad clamps as well.

If the pins come out easily then 1-2 hours should cover it. If they don't come out easily then it could take twice that just to get the pins out, you'll be then looking at another £60 for new pins (genuine Brembo) or £40 for uprated for new pins.

Are the uprated pins the better choice? Is it someone on here that sells them?

Are the uprated pins the better choice? Is it someone on here that sells them?

They're a different choice. They're made from stainless and don't have the 'collar' that the Brembo and Bremtec ones have so don't seize in the caliper. They use a 'R' clip to secure them in place. The uprated ones are the same design that Brembo themselves use on other cars fitted with the same brakes.

Mrpink sells them: http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?10578-New-design-Brembo-fitting-pins-interest