Bonnet to bumper seal on a 200 / 197 ?

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Paid Member
It was mentioned on a facebook group last night that some (?) 200's.....possibly 197's.......have a rubber seal between the bonnet and the bumper that fits in here: (I knew mine didn't immediately)

35648861144_c8f9416ef6_b.jpg

As many will know - i did (And am doing another currently) a group buy on the ever-rusting Alarm plunger bracket because mine along with many others was going rusty. This mainly due to water getting in through this gap i know; as the plastic at the front is wet after raining or washing as i'm sure you all know too........

Well mine has nothing on the bonnet and never has AFAIK:

35648860384_782cf25551_b.jpg

And nothing car-side - as i again already knew without looking.......

36346772531_972a39a62a_b.jpg

So. Am i literally missing something ? Anyone else's have a rubber seal that fits in here ?

We're onto something here...... :smile:

Even a strip of generic and correctly sized D-rubber would more than do the job i'd think.

Tons on ebay i bet. Expect its pennies too. Will go have a measure in a moment and get a bit on order.

I saw that too and thought they were delirious! How strange and oddly overlooked. I’m not sure what the benefit is to be honest - what are your thoughts?

Mine doesn't have one and never has in my ownership. Would be real handy to stop any water ingress during rain or washing.
Good thinking Batman:grinning:

I saw that too and thought they were delirious! How strange and oddly overlooked. I’m not sure what the benefit is to be honest - what are your thoughts?

I dont ever remember seeing one either in any pictures i've seen. Makes complete sense to me to have one though. And to why the leaks s clearly now occur.....

I think like any seal - it will help protect against leaks, cross-contamination, egress of foreign material etc.

In this case dust and water getting in......

So do we think this mounts to the lip of the front bumper that protrudes up on my last pic, or affixes down to the top of the up-turn on the plastic tray just behind it ?

i: Is it a vertical or horizontal fixing as per both options above.? (So i can go measure, order and be guinea-pig :smile:

Just a thought....
Would it effect engine cooling in any way? Is it designed for ventilation/airflow.
Doubt it but just saying

Changed my mind @Big Ben - would be impossibly tall and thin going on horizontally and logically !

So i reckon its approx 1/2"tall and !12" wide thin-walled D-rubber thats needed. Fitting on the upturn of the bumper.