Blowing rocker cover on cylinders 3 & 4

Fernandez

Gold Member
Just had my 36k service done and it appears that the rocker gaskit is blowing on the 3rd and 4th cylinders. When changing the plugs they noticed that they were oily, hence the diagnosis, Now I know its not a gasket as such but lets call it that.

They have rebooked it in for 2 days next week, the service manager said it 'should be' a warranty job, obviously I questioned the 'should be' and was informed that if it wasn't it would be getting on for £1000.

He said if I had cams or something like that then the warranty would be void, luckily I havnt done that yet but will they try and get out of it cos I have a milltek?

If it looks like I'm gonna have to pay id rather send it to jamsport or ktec and get it cammed for not much more!

known fault on fr4 engine......

its only a bead of sealant but involves cambelt off and top half of cam carrier to clean up and re-seal

fitting an aftermarket exhaust has no effect of the ability or should i say inability of the sealant to perform its job!

£1000 to change a rocker cover seal, abit steep that to remove the plenum, engine mount/camcover.

Nice one, feel a bit better bout that now lol, hopefully they will put a new belt on it to then.

Getting a megane as a courtesy car, bet anyone its not an R.S

Yeah its not an easy job (apparently). I had mine done under Warranty as well recently, it took Renault over a WEEK to do the job, I ended up furious with them and took the head off several of their staff over it. If you have any problems or need some weight to your argument mate PM me and I'll send you on my reg number so they can look up that I had the same work done under warranty.

Warranty is over now though so it wont be going back lol

shouldnt need a cam belt, as you can remove the rocker cover without touching the the actual cam belt, or does the rocker cover hold the cam shaft/pully in place

shouldnt need a cam belt, as you can remove the rocker cover without touching the the actual cam belt, or does the rocker cover hold the cam shaft/pully in place

the "cam cover" is also the cam bearing carrier (all machine matched) so if you unbolt the cover you disturb the belts as the cams will pop up due to the cam followers and tension on the belt pulleys

Yeah its not an easy job (apparently). I had mine done under Warranty as well recently, it took Renault over a WEEK to do the job, I ended up furious with them and took the head off several of their staff over it. If you have any problems or need some weight to your argument mate PM me and I'll send you on my reg number so they can look up that I had the same work done under warranty.

Warranty is over now though so it wont be going back lol

Nice one, glad to hear you got it under warranty.

To be fair this is the only problem I have had with car, which at just over 16 months old and 36k is some fair use.

Well the Clio went in today for the work, they reckon they will have it finished by this evening, we'll see later if that the case, top job if it is.

One positive note it's that they haven't called me as yet to say it's not covered by warranty, fingers crossed eh.

For my courtesy car I have a megane 1.6, its pants, its slow, uncomfortable & quiet. The only upside is the fuel economy but this pales into insignificance the more I drive and put up with everything that is wrong with it.

It only goes to reconfirm that yes, the Clio burns a bloody big hole in the pocket but its worth every Single penny.

Suprise suprise, the car wasn't ready. And it still isn't, had a call from the service department to say that the part they ordered yesterday hadn't arrived today so it would be tommorrow. This is same part that the service manager told them to order when I went in over a week ago to book the car in!!

Are all Renault dealerships like this???

Not happy, just had a call to say they nee another part to complete the job so the car won't be ready till monday now. Total incomptence by the dealer. Was ment to be doing the east midlands meet on sunday.