Best value cam package

Just wondering the clios due it's timing belt in August and well I thought I plan on keeping her a while so thought cams I've seen ktecs package for £1400 anyone else no any other company's that do such packages any info would be a great help cheers scott

I'm doing a track day tomorrow.
I'm a bit more expensive than that price, but I ALWAYS change the water pump, the full aux belt kit and the full cambelt kit, you'll find they are add ons to that advertised price.

Working on something new which should be cheaper and should be ready well before august

Yes be wary of the ktec price, that only includes a new timing belt not a full kit, or the waterpump and aux kit.

What are you're views Henderson I'm from forced induction so na is new to me what would you recommend

stuck for words really bud,i think people that think cams are going to transform there cars are living in a dream world tbh,you'll be looking at 15bhp max on a good day,maybe 20bhp with a filter and exhaust and the same ish torque increases

the best way i suppose i can explain cams is,they make the car feel how it should have been when it left the factory (a bit more alive on cam) but if your coming from FI then hmmmm,i'm not sure i'd bother....i'm not saying i wouldn't go there again because i would but if its going to break the bank then i'd possibly channel my money in other directions,especially with the megane conversions giving out 270bhp and 300 lbft for £3000

i certainly wouldn't waste a penny on matched inlets again though,it does depend how badly your inlets are matched in the first place i suppose but i've also heard cases where matching the inlets have made the car worse

suppose the conclusion is that these cars are good out of the box,i think you'll have much more fun spending your money getting to know the car on track rather than spunking it on a couple of hp here and there

sorry ross but i don't agree with any of that :001_unsure:

ARP bolts - normally with cams the rev limit is raised isn't it? The bolts are stronger than standard.

182 thermostat - 72k/5(6) year service has a coolant change so good time to fit this (if it's required).

Matched inlets - Danny offers this service and seeing as the car will be in there all day then there will be no harm in having it done.

None are overly important but he was asking for ideas :zap:

ARP bolts - normally with cams the rev limit is raised isn't it? The bolts are stronger than standard.

182 thermostat - 72k/5(6) year service has a coolant change so good time to fit this (if it's required).

Matched inlets - Danny offers this service and seeing as the car will be in there all day then there will be no harm in having it done.

None are overly important but he was asking for ideas :zap:

why would you fit a 182 thermostat though?....i can only think its to run the engine hotter,if so then just let the engine warm up naturally as designed with the relevant stat in

check out the price of matched inlets,i'm sure your looking at a couple of hundred quid for 1/2bhp max if your lucky,very slight mid range torque gains as well,so a cam package is now approaching 2k :w00t:

just my opinions mate

I didn't say 'you must do all these mods regardless of cost!' :smile:

I'm pretty sure Litchy wrote that the first mod he would do on a 197 was matched inlets. I suppose it depends what the matching is like from the factory.

I can do you a set of Columbo & Bariani re-profiled cams for £320 inc P&P. You would need to supply and post a set of std cams.

The CB reprofiled cams would be roughly the same as the Catcam 401's which are the Group N spec (as mentioned in another post that means "standardised"). The profile therefore would be around 287°/282°. (Shricks are 288°/280°) Can't give exact figures as the process used by CB can give slightly varied results but to be fair this is the same process most companies would use. In simple terms the camshaft is scanned then the magic computer works out the best profile available, it is then reprofiled by the same machine that cuts cams for Lamborghini.*

PM me if you would like further details.

I didn't say 'you must do all these mods regardless of cost!' :smile:

I'm pretty sure Litchy wrote that the first mod he would do on a 197 was matched inlets. I suppose it depends what the matching is like from the factory.

i never said you did mate,i'm simply trying to point out how much things cost and there bang for buck,and i'm only making reference to my own modifications as i've done both in question,one of which i'd do again,one i wouldn't

why would you fit a 182 thermostat though?....i can only think its to run the engine hotter,if so then just let the engine warm up naturally as designed with the relevant stat in

check out the price of matched inlets,i'm sure your looking at a couple of hundred quid for 1/2bhp max if your lucky,very slight mid range torque gains as well,so a cam package is now approaching 2k :w00t:

just my opinions mate

most 197 stats run too cold and are hard to get upto temp. matched inlets can be worth it depending on how bad there are standard, mine was a good engine to start with, but after i got mine done, my mapper saw the benefits of the inlets when he was doing the power run before he mapped it. im pretty sure on an exhange basis match inlets dont cost that much now. people get too hung on peak power gains, its not all about that, its overall drivability of the car, i only gain about 8bhp peak with all the mods i did, but the drivability of the car felt it was 10 x faster.

most 197 stats run too cold and are hard to get upto temp. matched inlets can be worth it depending on how bad there are standard, mine was a good engine to start with, but after i got mine done, my mapper saw the benefits of the inlets when he was doing the power run before he mapped it. im pretty sure on an exhange basis match inlets dont cost that much now. people get too hung on peak power gains, its not all about that, its overall drivability of the car, i only gain about 8bhp peak with all the mods i did, but the drivability of the car felt it was 10 x faster.

they are run cold-er for a reason...

as for mods - fi = "easy" n/a = £££ as you ultimately need more revs :innocent:

This Megane conversion is starting to look appealing from a cost point of view what did the majority of you do regarding fitting fit it yourself or pay as i noticed Henderson saying 3k so surely that's self done ?