Best accessory for your 197

Rishi

Platinum Member
CG Lock!

http://www.cg-lock.co.uk/

Best £40 i've spent on a car accessory, a total must have

Had a bit of trouble from demon tweeks sending me a blatantly used one covered in loads of scratches & fingerprints, and then refusing to send me a new one until they received the old one back, so wouldn't recommend using them

Anyway finally got one installed & its utterly priceless! Keeps your hips from sliding forward/slouching & makes you feel very secure in general & especially in corners, it makes you sit in the seat the way you are meant to, bum right at the back of the seat

Been after one of these for a while... I tried at Christmas but literally EVERYWHERE had sold out due to a certain Mr.Stig plugginh them in his book.

Are they as good as people say then? Mr.Stig reckons they're good for 3 seconds a lap.

Seen these about for a while now...always been tempted but never got round to buying one.

There is still an element of movement even in the recaros. They'd help massively

Used to use one i the 197 before i went for full harnesses.

They are very good at doing the job, but no comprimise for proper harness restriants if your a track day driver.

Reading the website, it almost seems to good to be true...

I'm tempted to order one but I don't track my car so not sure I'd see the benefits on the road.

for £60 you could get a cheap harness, easily get one off ebay for that 2nd hand I got a 3 points along with pads for that.

Much better investment imo

Reading the website, it almost seems to good to be true...

I'm tempted to order one but I don't track my car so not sure I'd see the benefits on the road.

It keeps you sitting upright which keeps your back properly aligned with the side bolsters on the seat, it basically gives you extra support without the hassle of a three point, ie you can still lean forward to your radio, satnav, a/c controls etc :wink: It's good to keep your bum from sliding forward & doing your lower back in aswell

Don't know about 3 seconds a lap but it definitely allows you to focus less on your body being thrown about by gforces & focus more on the car/road, after a while you dont even notice it but it def helps keep you more in place, its not really good for cruising getting your gangsta lean on, its more for sitting upright w/proper posture & driving properly :wink:

A good way to see how good it is is to get in your car, push your bum to the back of the seat, pull the seat belt tight-ish round your lap & see how snug you feel

Last edited:
An (free) alternative is to slide the seat back a few notches, tighten the belt across your lap and then lock it as tight as possible (I usually get about an inch of slack), then slide the seat forward into the locked belt. By "lock it" I mean grab the belt just behind your shoulder and jerk it so that it locks.

Quite handy for trackdays :smile:

Disclaimer: this holds you quite tight and I have no idea whether the seatbelt pre-tensioners would make it even tighter - try this at your own risk!

Just to follow this post up, I've had my CG Lock a while now and had a chance to fit it last week. It literally takes 5 minutes to fit and the instructions are very easy to follow.

Here's a picture showing it fitted:

Photo18.jpg

It really is a great bit of kit, whilst it's no full race harness it does help to hold you in the seat. This comes in handy in the 197 particularly under hard acceleration and heavy braking. I'd say around corners the improvements are less noticeable but I'd put this primarily put this down to the standard 197 seats being quite supportive as is.

Downsides are it can be a tad annoying on the motorway, as such I wouldn't have it fitted all the time. Reaching for something around the car isn't as easy for example. Also, I find sometimes due to the extra weight on the seat belt buckle you have to manually feed the belt back in to the pillar. Still fairly minor and I'd definitely recommend one, if like me you enjoy some fast road driving with a view to maybe doing track days in the future.:driveby:

Tim

Had one in my GTI for 2 years now and swear buy it been a massive help for general driving and even more when I've been on track :smile: