basic DA advice.

jase

Founder
Platinum Member
finally getting a DA polisher for christmas and im after some basic tips.

im getting 3 pads and the DA.
what else will i need and whats the best way to go about it.

what with the masking tape.?

will be for minor swirls and general up keep.

(please dont post links to detailing worlds million page thread as i really aint got time to read it all)

Go for Menz pads as they're smaller, the Megs ones are way too big to be used effectively on our little clios with a DA. I use Menz polishes with amazing results too. Masking tape protects the rubber seals from white polish, its blue because its more water resistant. Hope this helps

Menz pads are the better choice as Sean has said, also the Menz polishes are great as Sean said, the cutting compounds all depends really, can't remember what kind i use at the moment.

I also use http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002LNEJVU/?tag=clio197-21

Its great.

The tape is for putting over all plastic and all the joints in the pannels etc (you will find out there a nightmare to remove) little tip is, cooking oil removes white polish :smile:

What kind of DA are you planning on getting pal?

I have used them twice and have no comparing material, but I am very content with them.

I use the DAP500 machine. Does the same as the other machines, but is a lot cheaper! :smiley:

what else will i need and whats the best way to go about it.

(please dont post links to detailing worlds million page thread as i really aint got time to read it all)

To be honest mate I'd read into DaveKG's guide to DA Polishing on DW. If this is your first time using a machine then if you just jump into it without research you more than likely won't get good results at all.

The DA is idiot proof but as RussZS and I will both agree on, Clio 197 paint is strangely difficult to correct with only a select few products actually making the cut (pardon the pun). Without any knowledge of how to use a DA then I think you may run into difficulty achieving any real level of correction.

It only seems to respond to the newer polishes/compounds such as Menz 203S and Megs 205, without going in heavy handed with the older stuff.

Sean is right regarding the Menz pads - the cut on the smaller 5" pads is better (higher RPM, generates more heat/cut), but then Menz pads can be quite brittle, so don't be surprised if they fall apart a fair bit.

Have you bought the DA already?

To get used to the technique too, I'd use something light at first, like Super Resin Polish, which will do a great job via DA anyway.

The paint on our cars is strange - people will tell you it's soft, but as Sean will remember, his car was a nightmare to do!

thanks russ.
lisa has bought it me off gareth at detailed obsession.
ive got some srp already.

where do i get this blue tape.?

thanks russ.
lisa has bought it me off gareth at detailed obsession.
ive got some srp already.

where do i get this blue tape.?

Pretty sure I got mine from Polished Bliss. Fact is though mate that you don't really need this 3M blue tape specifically. Nip down to BnQ or the like and just get some regular masking tape. Does the same job.