In the next 6 months ....

Brakes all round
Belts replaced
36k service
New clutch / slave cylinder
MOT (2 tyres at least)

£2000

My wallets going to get r*ped:bored:

why are you changing ALL the brakes are they ALL past their best?

rears usually do more than 36k (discs normally do)

why are you changing ALL the brakes are they ALL past their best?

rears usually do more than 36k (discs normally do)

It's a worst case scenario really, better to plan for it then not IMO. Last brake check in January (I only bought the car in September), shows 40% rear wear and 60% front wear.

belts on the 36k service??

It's 5 years OR 72k - whichever comes first (a point many seem to miss), as the belts will degrade over time and miles. Being a 57 plate, that 5 year period is next september, but I may aswell get it done with the 36k service which will be due around May.

One thing though - I took out an 5 star extended warranty with Stratstone - mainly because it covers all gearbox components (after reading that the gearboxes are made of chocolate). Now I want to get the belts changed / service at Birchdown - will this null and void my warranty for not having it done through Stratstone?

Read the policy documents, they may specify that maintenance has to be undertaken by a Stratstone on Pendragon dealership. AFAIK used vehicle warranties are not the same as new ones, and can impose more conditions.

It doesn't help your working with one of the most unreliable motors France make!

LOL! In fairness, after working the bills out, I had a peak on the VXR OC forum - the corsa VXRs spit out gearboxes / clutches / engines with frigtening regularity too. I'm not gonna lie - it made me feel a bit happier.

Read the policy documents, they may specify that maintenance has to be undertaken by a Stratstone on Pendragon dealership. AFAIK used vehicle warranties are not the same as new ones, and can impose more conditions.

I'll go through the T+Cs. see what's what. I was hoping to take it to Birchdown for two reasons tbh 1) Great prices. 2) Knowing they'll do a spot on job.

Just found this in the small print :

Service Requirments - 'This guarantee will remain valid only where the vehicle is serviced after purchase in accordance with the manufacturers reccomended service schedule, by an Evans Halshaw/Stratsone group dealer or a VAT registered repairer.

I assume, as Birchdown are a VAT registered company that having the belts changed there, my warranty will still be intact?

Also, as the car was serviced at 33k by Stratstone, in order to comply with the reccomended service schedule, do I still get it serviced at 36k? As i'd expect that to have been pre-sale at 33k!

12 months or 12,000 miles from the last service, whichever comes first.

Excellent! Having read what is and isn't covered, I was especially interested reading this :

What IS covered :

Clutch centre plate, pressure plate release bearing and fork, master cylinder and slave cylinder. Excludes burnt out clutches and general wear and tear.

What ISN'T covered :

Clutch facings.

So I may have a chance getting that replaced under the warranty too?

Says the release bearing is covered, so fingers crossed! I would raise it with your nearest Pendragon dealer sooner rather than later though.

Says the release bearing is covered, so fingers crossed! I would raise it with your nearest Pendragon dealer sooner rather than later though.

The problem is, at the moment its just a judder when pulling off / slight jerk between gearchanges when the clutch is 'released' - so until it's a complete failure I guess they'll tell me to get lost, lol.

Tell them now, and explain the circumstances are commonly down to a failed release bearing. My release bearing was knackered but the car still drove. What complete failure are you expecting?

Tell them now, and explain the circumstances are commonly down to a failed release bearing. My release bearing was knackered but the car still drove. What complete failure are you expecting?

Honestly? I'm not sure as i'm not mechanically minded. I'll get on it and see what they say, cheers.

Ideally go to an Evans Halshaw Renault dealer.

There are no EH renault dealers anywhere near me :worried:, so it's going to have to be the Stratstone Jaguar that's just 3 miles away.