Anyone want a "free" Clio 197 Cup?

Ross

Paid Member
After spending close to £5000 since July 1st 2012 on keeping the Clio road-worthy...my MOT bill has just come back...£630.

Apparently there's "play in both front ball joints".

This comes after the £1200 bill as my Christmas present for a new exhaust manifold (which Renault did pay 65% of to be fair).....what next?

It would be more convenient to drive my car off a cliff rather than anywhere near a garage, certainly be cheaper too.

Some young do-gooder at work with a sh*t hair cut spent as near as makes no difference £600 on an old Mazda MX5 and hes had more fun than i have had, spent less than i have spent and also probably looked less of a tw*t driving it.

Is buying a Clio 197 the easiest way to bankruptcy? :spam:

Just replace the ball joints and not the hub carriers. There is another thread going at the moment about the same thing.

LOL that was a proper moan that was!

5K to keep it road worthy in 6 months? So what went wrong then? That doesn't sound normal mate, unless of course you bought it very cheap knowing that it'd need some work done.

I've had mine since January 2011, 45k miles, and the only problems I've had so far was a steering rack, a brake switch and the top stabiliser bar...And that's from a nearly 6 years old abused car.

Going back to your new problem, as daedmau5 said, just replace the ball joints. Parts can be bought straight from Renault Sport. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
So what has actually cost you £5k? Sounds like you've been taken for a ride, especially with the manifold! If it was the fliexis then they can be swapped, they are cheap parts. It's the labour that costs a lot on that job but still not £1,200!

I'm guessing whenever something goes wrong you just take it to Renault? If so then that is why it's cost you so much!

Drive your car off a cliff is a good solution, though sounds a little dangerous? Park it on a hill then let gravity do the work and make sure you or no one else is on the car. make sure the car lands in the sea or somewhere remote. I hope this helps.

Drive your car off a cliff is a good solution, though sounds a little dangerous? Park it on a hill then let gravity do the work and make sure you or no one else is on the car. make sure the car lands in the sea or somewhere remote. I hope this helps.
Speaking from experience? :thumbsup:

After spending close to £5000 since July 1st 2012 on keeping the Clio road-worthy...my MOT bill has just come back...£630.

Apparently there's "play in both front ball joints".

This comes after the £1200 bill as my Christmas present for a new exhaust manifold (which Renault did pay 65% of to be fair).....

what the hell has cost £5k :scared:

ha thanks for the responses guys.

The manifold incident was actually the welding around one of the branches (there wasn't any basically) so the whole thing had to be replaced...there was a full 360º gap right round the whole thing, unfortunately it wasn't just the flexi's. That particular job was £1200 from Renault which yeh they did pay 65% on despite being outside warranty etc which was nice (as the manifold has a 100k mile / 7 year parts warranty i was told by Renault UK)...2009 reg car obviously go figure. I got a second opinion from a local garage ive used for 6 years ish and was quoted £859 but went to Renault in the end.

Anyway yeh ive just been horrendously unlucky, the car wasn't cheap to buy (£8995) and has been looked after loads but just doesn't seem to be lucky with trips to the garage. Touch wood it wont be going near another garage till next year now, just road tax in June and that's it for this year (i bloody hope).

As ive said before on this site many times, i got the 197 as a decent second best to a V6 Clio as it would be cheaper to run...lol on this occasion i couldn't have been more wrong. I suppose buying a car is like rolling a dice...i rolled a 1 when buying mine :worried:

Hopefully come Summer it'll come good again when im tearing round Saddleworth moor.

(as the manifold has a 100k mile / 7 year parts warranty i was told by Renault UK)....

I hate it when renault use this excuse.

If it's meant to last 100k/7 years and it needs replacing, then it's not lasted 100k/7 years.

So they should replace it.

Yeah I don't get that. If it's got a 7 year warranty on it, why you paying anything towards it whatsoever?

I guess it's just a perk of buying any car. Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you're not. At least you've still got it, I think I probably would have stuck it up for sale by now lol

Before you launch it off a cliff or something totally unexpected meaning it changes shape, could you please make sure the cup spoiler falls off and comes my way??

Like others have said, if Renault them selfs have told you 7yrs/100k and its hasn't reached either than you shouldn't be having to be putting your hands into your pockets!

your getting ripped off mate, take it to a different gararge! my manifold went to but i bought another warranty and it covered it or else i woukd be giving mines away to lol