Anyone know much about a decent laptop?

Arran

I Love Lamp
Platinum Member
I want to buy a laptop after christmas, I want one that is going to be good for surfing the net, emails, uploading pictures and downloading music. But not vast quantities of any of the above. It won't be used for business or anything like that, maybe a bit of word processing.

Looking to spend a MAX of £450. I have seen this one:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/packard-bell-easynote-tm98-gn-030uk-white-07745128-pdt.html

which I quite like, especially as it has the i3 CORE processor and 4GB RAM.

Any thoughts, tips and suggestions anyone?

Thanks for the help.

Personally not a fan of Packard Bell, aren't they PC World's own brand?

There are mixed views on most makes, but personally I am a big fan of Dell kit, when my wife wanted a laptop last year I got her a relatively entry level Dell (Inspiron), think it was around £450. I suspect her usage is very similar to yours, and she loves it.

I have a Dell Latitude from work, and yes it does feel better built, but it gets abused a lot, and cost a lot more than £450. Plus it is smaller and heavier than the Inspiron, which isn't usually a good thing.

Been looking at a Dell Inspiron 15R I think it is, has the same processor, but is 3GB memory. Still a good unit though by the looks.

agree with dell quality, my work laptop is also an inspiron.

One thing I would say...4gb ram and an i3 is overkill for your intended usage, but theres nothing wrong with that!

I want it to be quick, I hate waiting for my computer to load, it's so slow. But it is a 4 or so year old Dell pc! It has done well over the years, so it is making me feel rather loyal to the brand. My fiance has got an Acer, so has her dad, mom and sister's boyfriend, and they seem good too!

Don't buy packard bell, HP/Compaq, trust me :smile:

Dells are generally a safe bet, Asus are also built well along with Acer generally ( though not always ).

Looks like the Dell FTW then! I've asked for some money from most of my family for christmas to put towards one, I want to try and get the pc out of the way, it takes up too much room and needs replacing now anyway. Been having problems with it too. I'll probably buy one in the next 2 weeks.

I used to have a DELL laptop lasted . . .hmmmmmm a long time say 4 years the only problem i found was the battery life.

I recently bought a HP to replace it as I was told in Curries it was the best in its range. cost £550 and i got loads of free goodies like antivirus, 50 stack of blank CDR, mouse and a carry case

IMG_0350.gif
IMG_0351.gif

Dell laptops are a safe bet. I wouldn't buy a Dell desktop though unless it had a pretty good motherboard. I haven't had to yet but apparently it's almost impossible to put a different motherboard in one. The ones in Uni anyway were arse backwards.

Just ordered a Dell Inspiron 15R. Very good price for the spec, and will most likely be more than adequate for the type of use it will get from me!