Anyone had a valve replaced?

all i'd be doing is adding the cost of a new genuine timing belt kit and tensioners while the engine is out. peace of mind then. once its in then, fresh oil. spark plugs etc. job done.

Just an update on this, I am going to change the engine. Air seems to be getting past piston 1.

I have been advised the pulley fitted to my car is not correct, and at some point in its life it may have had a cambelt snap and then repaired badly, although the pulley could have come from Renault, it seems very unlikely as the belt is over 5mm from the edge.

Instead of digging into the engine, with the cost of 3 hours labour plus a new pulley before I even know what is actually the cause, I am going to change the engine as it seems easier in the long run... The cams I was going to have will be put into the new engine and all should be up and running in about 2 months time I hope.

good and bads news there then... good news that a new engine should be as healthy as ever with the cams fitted, bad news..it went in the first place. also, DO NOT just throw the damaged engine, you dont have to be a mechanic to be able to just strip an engine. put that damaged engine up on here for sale with parts available, cranks alone are like rocking horse to get hold of, so that alnoe would see you money back, the bare block, damaged head would be perefect for someone whos wanting a head to have ported and oversized valves etc. so you'll have some money back for the damaged engine you remove. i know some people are even after 1-2 pistons too. everytings worth something... ohhh and the 197/200 cams are worth £100-150 as they fit into 172/182 clios :wink: Gez

[MENTION=7546]nicfred[/MENTION] would want some parts i'd imagine and [MENTION=78]PROIL[/MENTION]

sounds like a good idea! I will be able to take apart the engine no issues, putting it back together is the hard bit haha

I am gutted as I bought the car in this situation by the look of it, however if they give me a strong 200 engine with the cams added it will be an awesome transition from a very poor 197 engine. Think I may add a decat manifold to it while its out and think of the positive savings!

Cheers for the advise on selling