Any one able to help me with strange noise from engine please?

Em 8023

Gold Member
does it every time I start up the car for a while now I don't notice it once I'm moving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like your exhaust manifold flexi has gone.... that sound is all to familiar as mine has recently gone too! Lol

It's located behind the engine and quite low down, you're looking for a metal weave type thing that has snapped.

Mine looks like this ...

bX4Zmmv.jpg

How weird ! Must be these speakers.....as the intermittent noise sounds like an old bike horn here !

Certainly at first the odd noises were really equally spaced apart. Meaning a dry / noisy / failing bearing on a pulley etc could well be the culprit as its sounds like its directly related to engine RPM.

Not quite sure how you diagnose if it is and which it is though...........

Can you get your hands in there (ENGINE OFF !) and feel any play in the pulleys ?

Ok thanks I haven't a clue I best try get to a garage then , thought I would ask here first so I could maybe have an idea of what to expect cost wise . An am I causing more damage driving round with it like this as I've heard the noise for a while now an just been Ignoring it as didn't want expense right now . Nothing is ever a cheap fix with these cars is it lol

That weave thing you are talking about is that how it looks when it's not broken I'll have a look to see if I can see it now in my car thanks

Ok thanks I haven't a clue I best try get to a garage then , thought I would ask here first so I could maybe have an idea of what to expect cost wise . An am I causing more damage driving round with it like this as I've heard the noise for a while now an just been Ignoring it as didn't want expense right now . Nothing is ever a cheap fix with these cars is it lol

I'm no engine expert - but you were talking about the intermittent noise yes ?

As i say - sounded to me to be very equally spaced and therefore directly related to a moving / rotational part / engine RPM.

I'd wait for some further opinions before you dive-in and do anything; there are some hugely knowledgeable folk here.

The weave thing in my picture is what it looks like broken, it is supposed to look like this:

nengun-1867-02-toda-exhaust_manifold_-_flex_pipe.png

I mean I may be wrong, but the noise sounds exactly like my engine does since my flexi pipe snapped.

I think the OP is talking about the intermittent noise Dale.

Not the general engine tone.....which sounds a little top-end tappy (As many of these can do) rather than exhaust-blowy to me.

Yes the kind of like squeak noise Coming and going I was worried about only happens when cold fine other wise , I've found the part just about that you are on about it's really hard to see it properly though so I can't tell if it's snapped or not 172b98735b00e77eabe5ebee92471067.jpg92749576ce28d5ce1240eb2afc1dc653.jpg that's the best picture I could manage lol

I think the OP is talking about the intermittent noise Dale.

Not the general engine tone.....which sounds a little top-end tappy (As many of these can do) rather than exhaust-blowy to me.

I'm confused, I thought he was concerned about the squeaking noise? It sounds exactly like my car at the minute which is caused by my cracked flexi pipe, here's a video of mine...

You can see the flexi pipes a little bit by looking down and to the left through the gap in the intake pipes, circled here:

MOXy2iXl.jpg

Yes, it is the squeaking noise that's the concern I think. Just a quick one to try, but is your dipstick all the way in, and the oil filler cap tight? Either of these can cause an odd noise.

The noise is coming from the black circular sensor type thingy situated right adjacent o the blue ring on the picture, mine does the same.

The noise is coming from the black circular sensor type thingy situated right adjacent o the blue ring on the picture, mine does the same.
I think russel mean the pcv breather.

Yes, it is the squeaking noise that's the concern I think. Just a quick one to try, but is your dipstick all the way in, and the oil filler cap tight? Either of these can cause an odd noise.
Have thought about it too but If it was the noise was stream and not once yes once no.
But worth a shot.
Update us what you come up with .

So the noise on my car isn't coming from vibrations in the exhaust manifold due to the cracked flexi pipe?

You seem to have two noises, the one that sounds like a dead car horn is your PCV valve, see separate thread in Clio 197 area section, your other noise sounds like your manifold is blowing either on the flexis or where it attaches to the block.

pcv valve is that......needs a new one as said circular valve thats next to throttle body

Hmm looks like I was wrong then! I thought my noise was being caused by exhaust vibrations, it only started happening around the time I noticed the flexi had snapped, must have been a coincidence.

Can PCV valve be cleaned or anything to fix it or is it definitely a case of getting a new one?

Thanks I've had a look at that thread about pcv valve so I best get it sorted out since I've been ignoring it for a while now . How much should a garage charge to replace it roughly?