Any New York "experts" here ?

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Paid Member
About to book flights and hotel for a 4 or 5 day trip in December this year.

Need some advice about locations.

Anyone can help quickly ?

Not at home or I'd ask my parents who went a couple of years ago. Will ask this evening when I'm back if you still need the help.

Reactions: sevenfourate
Not at home or I'd ask my parents who went a couple of years ago. Will ask this evening when I'm back if you still need the help.

Its obviously a huge place Chris and all we want to see are some of the better Xmas lights, visit Macy's Dept store, Times Square and the Rockefella Xmas tree along with some shopping (And great eats of course).

Im guessing if you cant walk / travel right across New York then subway access is key.

Just wanted some advice on rough locations to stay in to make access easy to all........

Well I'll ask this evening - unless your booking in the next few hours in which case will be too late :smile:

Stay in an AirBNB. Hotels are EXPENSIVE in NY.

Williamsburg is a cool spot stayed there a few times and it's been my favourite for a base. Proper NY vibe there. There's an amazing BBQ place called Fette Sau, really good stuff. Might be a queue though... And there's Barcade up the road. Excellent beer selection and a shitload of arcade games from the 80's and 90's.

Uber is the best way to get around as it's cheap enough and you see a good slice of the city. Taxis will soon get expensive.

Failing that, the subway is easy to use and very affordable.

You can't go too wrong really mate.

Stay in an AirBNB. Hotels are EXPENSIVE in NY.

Williamsburg is a cool spot stayed there a few times and it's been my favourite for a base. Proper NY vibe there. There's an amazing BBQ place called Fette Sau, really good stuff. Might be a queue though... And there's Barcade up the road. Excellent beer selection and a shitload of arcade games from the 80's and 90's.

Uber is the best way to get around as it's cheap enough and you see a good slice of the city. Taxis will soon get expensive.

Failing that, the subway is easy to use and very affordable.

You can't go too wrong really mate.

Cheers Mes.

Not thought of, knew about or considered those.

You done this before i presume ?

Not quite NY but we always use AirBNB when we go away, SO much cheaper and you live by your rules.

Not quite NY but we always use AirBNB when we go away, SO much cheaper and you live by your rules.

Same mate. I also like how you feel more integrated with your surroundings. Much more like being a local.

I've been a couple of times and would recommend the Novotel time square its a great location to get about from and and a very clean hotel also its about a 5 min walk from central park and 5th ave .

I've been a couple of times and would recommend the Novotel time square its a great location to get about from and and a very clean hotel also its about a 5 min walk from central park and 5th ave .

Cheers.

£332 a night is the cheapest i can find for the Novotel in Dec.

We're hoping to not have to pay that............

Give park central a try that is also a very nice hotel . To be honest i've always gone around april but i could imagine its mega expensive around xmas time .

I'm looking to go in October so will be interested in this thread. My work mate gave me a NY travel book so I'm going to have a good read at that.

Spent 5 days in New York, truly awesome!

If I have to recommend somewhere you MUST eat it's Keens steakhouse, located down what looks like a side alley but all inside the roof is lined with old smoke pipes! A little bit more pricey, but I've never ever had a better steak!

http://www.keens.com/

Ground Zero, Ellis Island all a must to visit!

And if you're looking for a rooftop view, do the Rockerfeller instead of the Empire State, much better view!

Spent 5 days in New York, truly awesome!

If I have to recommend somewhere you MUST eat it's Keens steakhouse, located down what looks like a side alley but all inside the roof is lined with old smoke pipes! A little bit more pricey, but I've never ever had a better steak!

http://www.keens.com/

Ground Zero, Ellis Island all a must to visit!

And if you're looking for a rooftop view, do the Rockerfeller instead of the Empire State, much better view!

Thanks Ross. Thats great info......looking to book tonight when the wife is back. Or Tuesday (Payday) depending on ! Didnt realise how expensive it was going to be at Xmas time......

Thanks Ross. Thats great info......looking to book tonight when the wife is back. Or Tuesday (Payday) depending on ! Didnt realise how expensive it was going to be at Xmas time......

I'd love to go at Xmas time, like you say a bit pricey but for the experience and getting in the festive spirit you won't beat it!

Jealousy is paramount! I'll have to get back there again in the future

I'd love to go at Xmas time, like you say a bit pricey but for the experience and getting in the festive spirit you won't beat it!

Jealousy is paramount! I'll have to get back there again in the future

Cheers pal. My wife LOVES Xmas. And shopping and holidays. So what better way to combine the 3 on her 50th....

Managed to find a nice hotel in lower Manhattan (Chinatown): next to the Brooklyn Bridge at a good price for the time of year. Right near ground zero, financial district, little Italy, SoHo etc and a 4 minute walk from a subway station - for getting around.

Booked and job done.

Reactions: RossWoods93
Cheers pal. My wife LOVES Xmas. And shopping and holidays. So what better way to combine the 3 on her 50th....

Managed to find a nice hotel in lower Manhattan (Chinatown): next to the Brooklyn Bridge at a good price for the time of year. Right near ground zero, financial district, little Italy, SoHo etc and a 4 minute walk from a subway station - for getting around.

Booked and job done.

Only just seen the notification Shuv! Bloody phones letting me down!

If the wife loves shopping then you're heading to the right place! There's every shop you can think of, and on a MASSIVE scale!

2012 was when I went, stayed in a budget Holiday Inn but to be fair you're only in the hotel to sleep! You'll have to let us know your verdict on the place and what's new (if Trump lets you in the county, but that's a discussion for a later thread!)