another strange noise thread

ive just noticed a slight engine noise(or maybe its in my head :001_huh:smile: but when accelerating no issues, or maybe i cant hear it. but when in low gears (1-4 mostly) and coasting without my foot on the throttle, happens mostly downhill, theres a slight ' whining' noise coming from under bonnet. if i take it out of gear it disappears. any ideas would be great, or is this just 'normal' ? iam sure it didnt make this noise previously.
cheers
andrew, liking the new look site, excellent.

probably gearbox/diff whine on the over-run you can here!

results from the gears moving slightly in and out of mesh when on the power or over-run

I would say it's just the gearbox "freewheeling" while it is under load the gears will be in full mesh so will not make a noise.
When not under load there will be some backlash which is where the "whine" is probably coming from . I was service engineer for a gearbox company for a while and that's how I see it. ( someone in the know about 197's may know better) as reading the threads there are some issues with the boxes

Last edited:
probably gearbox/diff whine on the over-run you can here!

results from the gears moving slightly in and out of mesh when on the power or over-run

Anything to worry about? Mines always done it and ive just taken it as being normal

It's nothing to worry about, that's just the normal noise they make

Cheers fellas , you've put my mind at rest that's it's normal , like I said it's only a slight whine and does appear to be coming from the gearbox . In future, all acceleration, no coasting!