Another strange noise (Again)

Hi all,

Parked up this evening and i could hear a strange noise coming from the engine bay.

So I got my camera and a light and took a few video's of this strange noise.
From what i can hear, the noise is louder from the left hand side of the engine.

I took a few videos. I took 1 from the front wheel arch. As i could hear it a little clearer from there.

Any ideas? Is it just the cold or?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aeiHkcyjto&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnmIsoiQdP8&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qH_Lm9s4G8&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

does it increase with engine speed?

could be auxillary belt noise or one of the cambelt idler pulleys

Only did a quick check this evening. But I could not here it when revving the car (Only up to 2k ish)

My car made a similar noise to this, then stopped for a few weeks and then it did it again one night and it was the clutch coming apart. try the belts etc and if thats not it then check the clutch!! I also thought it was a tensioner that had gone, so did the old man, but alas it wasnt. New gearbox etc was required, the clutch sliced through the gearbox allowing all the gearbox oil to drain out whilst I was driving, gears were crunching etc. :rofl:

Well,

Went to Renault today.

A technician cam out to the car park to see if he could hear the noise that i have posted on the first page of this thread. The noise over the pass few days has been there, however has been at a lower tone and a tad longer sound spacing between it making the noise.

Technician opened the bonnet and near enough straight away, I could hear it. After about 10 mins of him listening and revving the engine and moving the steering wheel. He said he could hear it.

But, He could only hear it some of the time (I was standing away from the car and i could hear it all the time!)

I asked him if there was any form of diagnostic that they could perform to see if that might shed some light on it. His answer was NO. Its a mechanical fault.

He advised me if I wanted to I could book it in again for a full day. So they can see if they could hear and replicate the noise.

The car did not even make it onto any technical ramp or machine.

Question is? Is there some sort of diagnostic equipment that they could of tried?

If so, why didn't they! :001_unsure:

Thought i would update this post, as it might be of use to someone else.

The car has been with Renault for the last two days.

They have admitted that they can hear the noise and that it is coming from the cam-belt pulley area. However, as its only making the noise they feel it does not need to be replaced under warranty. They say its not affecting the car and it will go away once the cam-belt is done this year.

Lets hope it does not cause an issue until it is needed to be replaced.

That's the pain with the extended warranties. They only replace the parts when they fail. Hope all goes well mate, let us know.

When i go and collect the car this evening. I shall be asking for everything in writing. Just in case something goes wrong. The cam-belt is due in sept 2012.

What not another bunch of useless Renault techs :whatever::whatever: all of them

What not another bunch of useless Renault techs :whatever::whatever: all of them

Went to pick up the car this evening.

I had a discussion with them regarding the cam-belt. And they advised it needs to be done sooner rather than later (So they kind of shot themselves in the foot there).

They are going to speak to the warranty company tomorrow and call me.

I was speaking with the services manager at the branch for about 30mins. still resulted in not wanting to put down, if the cam-belt goes bang they will replace it and other parts.

But i have made it clear i certainly will not be paying for it if it does go bang before it needs replacing.

Get what they said in writing of it goes before the belt needs changing go to town on them! Make sure it's headed paper they wrote to you on too

Just stumbled upon this thread as I noticed my car is making an odd noise and wanted to see if anyone else had reported anything similar.

Not wanting to hi-jack your thread but...

My Clio 200 is making exactly the same noise - I'll post a vid up so we can compare. A little worrying as it isn't even 2 years old and only done 13,500 miles!

Just spoken to RUK.

Bottom line is, they do not think the noise is a problem and they will not replace the item / items that go with it.

The Cam-belt pulleys and tensioners are serviceable items (As with anything on a car if you leave it long enough)

They would only replace said parts if it goes totally wrong. And there is no guarantee after my warranty runs out that they will replace it either. They would only "look into it"

I can understand there side and where they are coming from, and it may not go wrong until it needs to be replaced in September 2012. But you never know.

:worried: