Another R888 thread.....sorry

ok, so out of the tires r888, a048s, ad08, rs2, which would be number 1?? if money wasnt a problem and for a right out trackday tire?? :smile:

There isn't any question there really... For a trackday tire it is the r888 (A048's more expensive for the Clio)

Thats not what the OP was really asking though - there needs to be some compromise so that would lead to (in my order of preference) R1R, AD08 or T1R.

Out of all of them the only one which isn't more expensive than the Conti is the T1R (I think).

I would be quite tempted to get some Bridgestone Potenza RE070's when I change mine.

Look at Silverstone FTZ Type RR as well. Im itching to try these. Itching!!!!!!!

Not for a road trip though, no v-groove on them. But for a dry track day they look to be immense.

Look at Silverstone FTZ Type RR as well. Im itching to try these. Itching!!!!!!!

Not for a road trip though, no v-groove on them. But for a dry track day they look to be immense.

They look like weapons! Only £117 on google shopping in the Clio size too, looks like a brilliant trackday tyre IMO

Dont listen to anyone else, get them, try them. If you dont like them sell them and get some money back.

Used them on a 400bhp scooby for 5k miles and still had life left (including a couple of track days). However that car was aways strangely kind to its tyres!

They look like weapons! Only £117 on google shopping in the Clio size too, looks like a brilliant trackday tyre IMO

Indeed. You can get them in T5 medium compound as well. They are road legal. Used on a few race series in the UK.

http://www.serviceandsport.com/ftztyrerr.htm

Service and Sport are the official importer. But they couldnt match some of the other suppliers prices for some reason when i approached them. Even though they admitted that they were the ones supplying them. They almost couldnt understand how other suppliers were doing them cheaper than their trade price.

There is a review somewhere online from a day of tyre testing at Donington using the FTZ Type RR and R888s on a Mk2 Golf and Caterham. FTZ did extremely well.

Hmm, I could see those causing some fun conversations at the roadside, even though they are legal.

If you're going to go all in, as Cookie suggests, then there's a few more options too.

I've got Dunlop DZ03Gs in medium compound on the Clio at the minute, they're fantastic. Did all day at Oulton and barely took the shine off them, really good feel too.

Best track tyres I ever had though were the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups on my Golf, just a crying shame you can't get them very easily in the UK.

I've still got a nagging feeling about you running them though, it still rains in Europe even in summer, and when it does come down - it tends to do it hard. It's not just your driving you need to think about, if some maniac gets out of shape and causes you to make an emergency correction in the pouring rain, will you have enough grip for your escape route?

Federal 595 RS-R are getting a lot of love from people, cheap, 6.5mm tread and 9/10ths the grip of a track tyre.

Last edited:
Federal 595 RS-R are getting a lot of love from people, cheap, 8mm tread and 9/10ths the grip of a track tyre.

Not quite 8mm according to their website http://www.federaltire.com/en/images/datasheet/size_spec/spec595RS.html .

In 215 they're £87 delivered :thumbup1: might give them a go if they're still on sale when my AD08s are dead (which will be a while as even the front still have 5-6mm of tread).

Sadly I see you can't get the Michelins on 17s according to their website which sucks :worried:

Oh yes... edited.

You can get 17" Cups on the continent, but they only seem to bring over the Porsche/BMW sizes here by the looks of it? You can actually get them from Costco, 996 GT3 RS fronts were the same fitment as my Golf - proper bargain when they have their -20% offer on!!

Ebay.de link to 17" Cups

Last edited:
Bridgestone Potenza RE070's

My parents had a set of these on their 300bhp Impreza and they were pretty awesome. Decent all round tyre. The tread is weird though, goes from like a semi slick on the outside to a full wet tread on the inside. And they're not too expensive at £136 per tyre.

Would love to get some R888's (or equivelant) but they're expensive and won't be using them on track. TBH, i just want something that's stickier than the conti's but not much more expensive.

Keep your views/suggestions coming as this is proving to be an good little thread.

Cheers :thumbup1:

For £100 a corner it's:

Second hand, but unused track tyres - such as R888s. Easily achievable.
New Hankook RS2s / Yoko AD08 / Federal RS-R

Stretching the budget sees:

RE070 / R1-R.

I bet you could use some of the harder tyres all summer and still have enough left on them to sell to someone as track boots come autumn. Thus having all the benefit and getting some of your money back too.

Last edited:
Go see Dom Field in Congleton, Woody, he used to work for a race team running a load of cars in the Clio Cup. He's got plenty of contacts and I'm fairly sure they'll have a container load of them somewhere.

He's a really good lad and knows the race cars inside out, I'd highly recommend him.

fieldautoservices

Last edited:
Thanks mike. Ill be on full slicks on my next track day :smile:

Remember, slicks will often let go. No warning and no progression unlike R888s or similar. Also, punishment on your gearbox and suspension components will be far far higher. Also factor in that you might not be running a baffled sump, and you could easily suffer oil starvation.

If the oil pressure regulator is in good nick i wont need a baffled sump will i? We are talking clio lol im sure the g forces arnt that high. Oh and suspension strain will that be arb's etc?

Getting way OT, but being quick... for a mess about on a track day, they'll be amusing and cheap.

To get any meaningful performance out of them though you'll need uber camber and the springs on your V3s will be way too soft.

Sump, dunno - never seen inside a Clio sump, it may already be designed to protect against surge/starvation?

Add: most TDOs won't let you on track on slicks without a cage (half may suffice, so you're ok there)

^ This. Always check in advance if slicks are allowed. Donington used to be ok, but a lot arent these days. Getting on to the realms of over competitiveness, and causing too much of a risk to other people that just want to enjoy themselves.