Another noob

Hi,

Been lurking on this forum for a little while but probably never posted before.

Currently own a '96 MK1 Renault Clio 1.8 16v (wide arch) in Xerus Grey, an '89 Renault 5 GT Turbo in Red, and a Nissan 200sx S14a Touring in Kuro black.

Toying with the idea of putting my Clio 16v away in storage with my 5 whilst I save for a house deposit and get a white Clio 197, since i've always fancied one as a daily hack.

I'm currently returning 450 miles to a 50L tank of Tesco momentum in the clio which is pretty good, although that's just pootling down the A60 to Nottingham and back every day. What are 197's like on fuel when driven sensibly?

I'm going to have around 6k to play with in 2 months time. I'd like one with Recaros, electric folding mirrors and xenons, and also air conditioning. Am I likely to get a good one for that sort of money?

I've read through the buyers guide on here which is great so I'm aware of the pitfalls to look out for, the biggie being the gearbox. All too familiar with crap Renault gearboxes so I absolutely don't want to buy a lemon with a crunchy box.

Similarly, are there any other cars that could be bought for the same money that are as good looking?!

Kieran

Hello mate.

Your right about the gearbox, make sure you test drive before you buy! 3rd and 4th are the gears to check.

6k should do you fine, although Recaros do have problems with the bolsters. You might have to wait a while to get the exact one you want, you might have to consider not having everything on your wish list. The standard seats are comfy and supportive just bare in mind.

MPG wise, there not horrendous, sensibly 30-34, depends on the car, mine does 33 on a motorway at 70.
25-28 if your not hanging around

Welcome, love the username, that has to be the best one so far
have to agree..recaros are fine to have but the standard ones will do just fine..all depends on what u want from the car and how much u wanna spend on upgrades..although,its nice to have xenons...good luck looking

There's one on eBay at the minute with Xenons and some weird looking seats, but I haven't got the cash at the moment.

I'll have to take a look at some pics of the standard seats to see how they compare. Has anyone had their recaro bolsters repaired successfully with some harder wearing material?

They sound about as bad as the bolsters on the Renault 5 GT Turbo seats!

Yeah people have then repaired successfully.

mine doesn't have recaros, and whilst I like them, I'm perfectly happy with the renaultsport seats.