Am I missing a spring or 2 (Rear Brakes)

This morning I popped to the garage as my rear brakes had been binding. Turns out they were pretty much just constantly locked on as the pads had been simply hammered in an not fitted correctly.

The mechanic noticed that there was no spring on either caliper to let the brake go back to its original position, it's currently relying on the cable only.

Can somebody confirm that I am missing springs and let me know of the best place to pick a couple up if so. Big Reds? Renault?

2013-04-20110119_zps9dbc7a74.jpg
2013-04-20110100_zps2c9f1a9e.jpg

Ahh ideal, I'm no mechanic so literally have no idea but chap said that there's usually a spring there on most cars

My son had the same problems with handbrake sticking and pads dragging etc.
I did a clean up and service of the rear brakes and fitted new handbrake cables, but also noticed that there were no springs.
I posted on here a while ago to ask if anyone else could confirm that there should be springs, but got no replies.
Renault parts dept. were useless. They looked on the parts listing and said they 'think' there should be springs but couldn't sell them separately, I would have to buy the complete calipers that included the springs :nope: b.
I just made my own. I found some longer coiled tension springs, cut them to length and made loops in the end.
Now these are fitted it has made a world of difference. The rear pads pull away from the discs nicely, the handbrake no longer sticks and has a much better feel.
I still cannot confirm if there should be springs there and what they look like, but as your pictures show, the arms with slots in suggest that there should be some there. I can however confirm that by fitting the springs that I made, it makes a real difference and cost me naff all!!

Interesting little topic this has turned into.

If people get a moment, can the look under the back end of their car with a torch and see if they have springs there?

Mechanic said this could be a reason handbrake was ****e and hadn't helped binding brakes.

Mechanic said this could be a reason handbrake was ****e and hadn't helped binding brakes.
These were my thoughts exactly.
Without springs, what ensures the pads are pulling away from the discs?
It's common that the rear pads especially start binding through rust and crud build-up, so without anything to pull them away it's not going to help.
I would also be interested to see if others have springs on their rear calipers.

All I know is that every car I have had through the years has had some sort of spring return to the rear brakes to assist with the handbrake release. Can't see why renault should be any different, especially when they conveniently put the small arms at the back of the calipers with holes and notches to fit springs to.

Whether Renault intended to have them or not, I can only report that I am more than happy that I fitted some to my son's car.
I will try and get a photo this week.

Ideal, look forward to the photo. You can see there are even little notched to attach springs if need be.

all the ones i have done havent had springs on...

as for stopping them sticking - they will still do it as its rust forming between pad and disc surface and not the fault of the caliper releasing - not doing a brake service is the biggest issue with these...

there is a return spring arrangement in the auto adjuster built in to the caliper piston and also the seal pulls the piston back for a running clearance