Alternator goosed?

Miked5

Paid Member
After changing the gearbox and cam belt over the winter I went to go for the first drive yesterday and the low battery light/stop light came. I’ve had the car started on and off over the last month but very for a long period of time.

Things I’ve checked so far:

▪️Battery voltage 12.2v with engine idling
▪️Continuity between alternator live and battery positive
▪️No blown power supply fuses (the ones surrounding the battery)

I think this points to a failed alternator or voltage regulator? Or is there anything else I should be checking before looking for a 2nd hand alternator?

In the back of my mind I’m thinking have I disturbed something on the alternator while doing the cam belts or box change but can’t find anything. If I was missing an earth surely I would see other issues aswell? Everything appeared fine before I tucked it up in the garage over winter.

For anyone in future who has a similar issue, check your earth cables. My gearbox to battery earth cable was dodgy Replaced it with a new earth cable from Halfords and all good 14.3v at the battery now

@Miked5 i could here my car was becoming more difficult to start so i checked the charge, 12v so i thought oh crap alternator, battery died so i put one on and now i have a charge rate of 14.60v but its flicking around to be honest like 14.60 to 13.90. What was yours charging at with a poor earth?

When I had a bad earth mine was only 12.3-12.6v with the engine running. After I fixed the earth it was 14.3v +/- 0.1v

Reactions: Eze264