Alternative Display

At the moment that display is circa £2k, so I think there's a fairly limited market for it!

There may be the option in a few months to make available an alternative, but you'll still be looking at the best part of £900 for it.

This.

As previously promised, a little more information.

The display is one we had left over at work from another project, and is actually the same display as the one used in the McLaren MP4-12C GT3. Here's a couple of pictures of it in that car.

2013-McLaren-MP4-12C-GT3-Interior.jpg

mclaren-mp4-12c-gt3-united-autosports-video-08_708x340.jpg

I've wired it into my 197 allowing me to access a whole host of data, most of which is shown in the previous video.

I have however also added into the car a data logger, with on-board GPS, 3 axis accelerometer and tyre pressure and temperature monitor receiver.

This is currently installed under the centre rear seat, and the GPS antenna lives by the driver side rear window.

IMG_0548.jpg

The wiring needs tidying up, but as the electronics are still being worked on, I'm not too worried about it not being a completely neat install under the seat just yet (the joy of just being able to pull the seat down to cover it!).

The data logger means I can create track maps based on where the car has been driven, and can then look at parameters from the car, according to its position. Ultimately this is intended for analysing car and driver performance on a track, but it is quite interesting to look at on the road.

Analysis1.jpg

The above screenshot shows various parameters such as vehicle speed, engine speed, TPS position, coolant temperature, steering angle and when I'm pressing the brake.

The screenshot below shows the 3 axis accelerometer readings, along with other vehicle parameters.

Analysis2.jpg

In the screenshot below I've highlighted a section where the car was weaving from side to side, and you can see how the X-Y plot on the right of the screen shows an x axis reading going from -0.4g to +0.4g.

Analysis3.jpg

Finally, the screenshot below shows how the tyre pressures, air temperature and tyre carcass temperature change during the driver to work. Tyre pressures are absolute pressures, before people query why I'm running over 3bar!

Analysis4.jpg

Last edited: