Alarm questions

Hey guys,

How can I tell if my 197 has a factory alarm fitted? All the blinkers do their thing when locking/unlocking, but I have never heard any sounds whatsoever and I don't think I have any sensors inside. I got the car from Switzerland... if it makes any difference. Can the alarm be programmed somehow? I remember tweaking the beepers on my old passat and forcing them to be silent, kicking tires, trying to open doors etc didn't trigger them, only when someone sticks his hand inside.

The problem is that my insurance guy told me that a "sound signal" is mandatory, or else I risk not being paid in full if my car disappears...

I would imagine all 197/200s had a factory alarm fitted, can't see why they wouldn't. I have a flashing red light in the centre bottom of the instrument cluster which I assume is telling me the alarm is armed..

My alarm gives me a beeping warning when I wash it locked with a pressure washer.. however I can roll it back and forth when locked (and handbrake off) with no alarm beeps whatsoever!!

I wouldn't assume all 197/200s have an alarm. The security requirements for UK cars are much higher than most areas, even compared to Europe.

Things to try to set it off, lock it with the windows down and stick your hand in or pop the bonnet and then lock it.

there should be a sensor at the back of your car..mine is on a passenger side i think..it should also be mentioned in your handbook..

Somehow I managed to set my car alarm off when washing the car (it was locked). I hadn't realized it had one, but it's good to know :smile:

Not sure what triggered it but I was pressure washing down the passenger door when it started going off.

Thanks for the replays guys. I will test everything you mentioned as soon as I get my car back... I checked my books but there's nothing about beeps or alarms in there, only the immobiliser flash in the middle of the dash.
If I end up installing an alarm, do you think it would be possible to use the OEM one, assuming I can find it anywhere for sale?

only uk cars had alarms to do with the thatcham ratings for insurance

the Renault alarm just plugs in to the can-bus line once the sensors have been fitted (I know I have fitted one) but don't use an old one
as according to the instructions they cannot be swapped between cars

Thanks, that really helped me a lot and answered all my questions. I guess I'll to have to ask Renault about OEM prices or fit an aftermarket crap then...

Thanks, that really helped me a lot and answered all my questions. I guess I'll to have to ask Renault about OEM prices or fit an aftermarket crap then...

Renault used to supply an alarm kit...not sure if theres any about but might be worth asking the question