Advice please

Do not point out the injustice, this will really piss people off and quickly. Also do not point that others get paid more than you, again pisses people off.

If you want a rise, you have to be confident you're good at your job (and actually be good at it), make sure you can demonstrate the value you bring to the business. What I mean by this is have some clear examples of where you have gone above and beyond what your job normally requires of you, if anyone has ever given you positive feedback such as a customer or colleague then mention that.

My 2p. Best of luck with the appraisal.

I'd say just be greatful you have a job! I'm a plumber with my gas safe certificate a gold cscs card and over 10yr experance and have no work,
Plumbers jobs are hard to come by due to the current climate so just be thankful your comming home with a wage,

what do you do gouldy?

Im a plumber i have my lvl 2&3 c&g, unvented etc but am doing my acs with british gas as well as training to be a spark. I have a basic salary of 18k the i can earn performance related commission etc ontop. I used to work with a very quick and efficient gas engineer on a site he basically was responsible for all the plumbing and gas and he was on about 30k but has 8 years gas experience.

Nvq level 1 in plumbing

Nvq level 2 in pipefitting and plumbing

Nvq level 3 in advanced pipefitting and welding, class 2 coded arc welder

ACS gas trained and Nvq level 3 in installation Of complex gas systems.

ONC in building services (the science behind everything to do with buildings and design)

The last job I were on I was as qualified as the project manager running the entire site.

All my qualifications are relevant to the trade, what annoyed me slightly was the fact that a service and maintenance apprentice who is still a teenager was helping me out for a few weeks was on £2 an hour more than me. Stupid if you ask me.

I'd say just be greatful you have a job! I'm a plumber with my gas safe certificate a gold cscs card and over 10yr experance and have no work,
Plumbers jobs are hard to come by due to the current climate so just be thankful your comming home with a wage,

I know that all too well mate, I too were a victim of the credit crunch. I was made redundant 3 times in a year from different firms.

Try going from £40,000 a year to £200 a month dole lol.

It's not good, i hope you get something soon

Do not point out the injustice, this will really piss people off and quickly. Also do not point that others get paid more than you, again pisses people off.

If you want a rise, you have to be confident you're good at your job (and actually be good at it), make sure you can demonstrate the value you bring to the business. What I mean by this is have some clear examples of where you have gone above and beyond what your job normally requires of you, if anyone has ever given you positive feedback such as a customer or colleague then mention that.

My 2p. Best of luck with the appraisal.

I won't mate, that's what I'm trying to get at with this thread, the right way to approach the subject of a rise.

Thanks for your input.

Management cards are black not platinum. Cscs is nothing really mate just allows u to work on site. Ure no more qualified than a skilled trade card holder just health n safety qualified.

Ure doing ure hnc if i remember rightly if u pass that merit or distinction then i would agree u should be getting more money as it shows a higher level of knowledge of all round building. I did hnc - built environment for personal gain so i knew more.

Register with CIOB and see what courses u can get on to further ure career. Site money is never the same as office money.

As for what to say, dont sound too cocky just make sure you have good reason to be asking and dont mention the union or having a right to earn that money or anything like that employers hate that. Calm and collected mate let us know how it goes.

I did a 2 year apprenticeship ACS and got an NVQ level 2. I have 9 categories on my gas safe card in domestic gas and I have got 4 in commercial and industrial gas. I have got my CSCS too. I get paid 15k basic and I do over time and call out, so I get a bit more. I work on a daily basis repairing domestic boilers. Guys I work with earn 31.5k a year basic and some of them aren't as qualified as me. But I think most have more experience.

Woody;

Black cards are for project managers etc, below that is the platinum card, below that is the gold supervisory card below that is the gold card below that is the green cars below that is the blue card below that is the red trainee card.

Thanks everyone for the info and advice. I'm still sort of stuck in the same boat but you have all said similar things. My plan now is to wait and see what they offer me after all there is still a small chance I could be walking away without a job yet.

If I do get kept on I'll be subtly mentioning the hvca rates of pay, mainly because since I have been working there is the past 6 months I have run and successfully completed on time 5 jobs at £40,000 a job.

That's alot of cash in anyones eyes.