197: Advice please

Hi,
I'm over from Cs for some advice on an r27, and what I should look out for when viewing.

I have read the buyers guide but the car is SORN so I won't be able to test drive it to highlight any problems.

the car is a 49000 mile ly r27 going for 7k on account of the belts not being done (due 72k?) and having one undocumented service carried out by a mechanic friend.
I know how important services and belts are on these so if I get it, it'd be taken straight to RS tuning for a full service, belt/water pump change and a good looking over by Paul

I'm aware that the brake pins can seize, is there any way of checking this without actually removing the brake?

The car is based in Wiltshire so it's a good 6 hour track for me and I want to go down with as much information as i can... Should everything be ok after the trip to rstuning or do you think there'd be anymore problems?

Sorry for the essay

Hi Knuckles,

Welcome to the site, the belts should be done 72k or 5 years what ever comes first.

If you have read the buyers guide I cant really add much apart from if its been left like you say it has check the interior for mould or a damp smell. Tyres have a good look at as well, make sure they don't have any visible flat spots where its been sat.

Cant think of much else but im sure someone else will.

Thanks, the tyres need changing in the next 1000 miles or so apparently. It's only been off the road 3 month so that shouldn't be enough time to do any damage to the tyres/damp the interior right?

Belts are 72000 or 5 years mate also when doing the belts water pump needs doing at the same time £500-£1000 to be done
Recaro wear
Steering wheel melt
Gear box
Like you say pins some fly out other welded in
Look at the door seals between the door and back window:thumbsup:

Taking it over to Paul and Andy is probably the best starting point anyway...

Sorry Specky but anyone younger than me is gonna get the full works unless u want me to call u Andrew!!

Paul quoted me £600 for a service and belts but he said it could be up to £800 of he finds anything that needs doing. I take it as if its the latter, the car should mechanically be mint after he's done with it.

Are the brake pins a brake off job to check or are there any tell tale signs that I'd w able to spot? Also, how much are they to fix/replace if they are stuck?

Thanks, the tyres need changing in the next 1000 miles or so apparently. It's only been off the road 3 month so that shouldn't be enough time to do any damage to the tyres/damp the interior right?

You would be surprised, UK has a very damp climate. I left mine for 3 month under a cover without checking it and it started to go mouldy, I just caught mine in time before it did any damage so worth checking.

No way of telling about the pins till you try and remove them.

Brakes can be a pain on anything French, but at least with Paul and Specky the car will be looked after by fellas who know these oddball machines

Lol Specky loves these French machines how could anyone question his love for anything french