advice please. front calipers

Ashton

200T Test Pilot
Platinum Member
Striped and painted my rear calipers today

2pocxnt.jpg

Used etch metal primer, VHT paint (4 coats) and lacquered (3 coats)

They look good. Although, ny brain is now thinking about the temps that the front will get too

What paint and lacquer combo have people used on the front Brembos?

Spray or brush on? Lacquer or not?

If I don't lacquer will the decal peel off?

Help me please!

Thanks treacles

Last edited:
I used brush on red for the front and back. Dried smooth and glossy.

I put the decals on when the paint was still slightly tacky so the paint is holding the stickers on aswell as the decal's own adhesive.

Hope this helps.

Jamie

Sprayed mine silver with VHT spray from eBay a few weeks ago mate!
Sanded them down with various grades of paper, then sprayed 4 coats paint, put sticker on and then 2 coats of lacker
They have for grubby already so could use another coat of spray lacker or two to try help prevent brake dust building up! But the sticker is welded on an hasn't budged, and they look 100x better than before it was done still

See picture after completing :smile:

Hope that helps

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 65
7771cd3e4943dd1e7d41dc27d0fa154c_zps71e2fb3e.jpg

I just used normal spray paint then put the decal on then lacquered them. Don't think they get hot enough through road use to affect the paint.

Last edited:
Pm Rogue197 _Pete done a good job on his

Bloody Didnt lol

I painted mine several coats but Didnt use any clear lacquer, went to the ring and the paint pretty much melted. In fact, I could move the paint with my hand it got THAT soft.

I'm now going to strip them down and send them off to be done properly.

Tbh, because you use your car to track, I'd bake that paint on.

I used VHT spray paint on mine and VHT lacquer. It gave a fantastic finish but unfortunately I didn't use chemical resistant lacquer and the second I used tar remover on them the lacquer started dripping off! So after the lacquer was damaged the brake dust has made a bit of a mess of them, they did stand up to heavy track work though.

I've got more paint to redo them, I'll be using the same VHT colour but this time have some 2k lacquer to put on them which should be much more durable

How is everyone seemingly getting good finishes?

Are you taking the calipers off? Using brush or spray.

On my old corsa I used silver hammerite and the surface was crap and it had dark spots in it.

I'd probably take them off if it was easy enough

Spray, defo.

You get brush marks with the paint otherwise. You can take them off, that's the best way, but you need to know how to bleed the brakes otherwise.

I have bought some heavy duty lacquer so I will be giving them a coat with that. It says it's for use on alloys so I hope to not have any issue with brake dust etc