A few "issues"

Hi guys, new here and I have read through a few threads that discuss a few of the issues I'm having but none seem to have a definite answer.

The first issue is a knocking sound when letting off the throttle, now there's a massive thread on here, mine is 99% coming from the back of the car, I read some said possible boot catch so I tried a fix mentioned using electrical tape but it's still there, it's pissing me right off.

Renault said it's a heatshield does that sound likely? It happens on lift off and changing gear and happens all the time whether cold or fully warmed up.

The other issue is a very creaky clutch pedal, is that anything to worry about or does it likely need just greasing up or something? It's really noisy and makes a noise even when lifting off clutch as the pedal keeps moving up and also got an accelerator pedal that makes a loud clicky sound and doesn't go all the way down smoothly, so you sort of push down it goes down sort of stops near the end and then needs pushing a bit more to go down fully (not smoothly)

Another thing I noticed was fluid pissing out from under the car, it was on the passenger side. The exact location is where the sill is (nearest front passenger wheel) and in about 30cm (looking under car), fluid looked clear and didn't have any particular smell.

The last thing is while on a ramp I noticed previous owner removed centre box, now people have said it makes a flat spot worse, I've not driven a 200 with the centre box in place so don't know how bad it is normally. All I do know is that aboput 2500rpm the car does nothing then suddenly moves forward.

I normally red line the gear changes where possible so won't be near 2500rpm but sometimes in slow moving traffic I'm in that rev range and it pees me off. Anyway has anyone had a rolling road before and after? Does removing the centre box lose power or is it a case of simply changing where the power band is slightly?

Thanks for any replies and sorry for a long winded post.

Flat spot - Remap can help but doesnt iron it out completely. Even with the centre box in the flat spot is noticeable.

Knocking - Very likely to be the heatshield. I had the same with mine and still do get a knock/pop noise on gear change when cold. Apparently the heatshield gets hot, then when you go through a puddle etc it rapidly cools the heatshield causing it to deform. Just requires bending a little :smile:

I can only help on the throttle pedal part. That's totally normal, apparently they all have that 'feature' :smile:

That 'feature' is part of the speed limiter system. With the speed limiter turned on, if you push past that spot is allows you to over-ride the limiter. I believe it to be a safety feature

As above for notch on accelerator, it deactivates cruise control or speed limiter if required.

Clutch you need to oil the clutch assembly which cured mine.

The flat spot I only notice when cold and I'm using least amount of gas possible to accelerate. I either give it extra gas (3/4) or change up at 3k to stay above the flat spot. Mine is not chopped so wouldn't want to say what affect that would have.

Thanks for all the replies, so it seems that most of the "issues" are probably nothing to worry about and easily fixed.

Car is great to drive and am generally loving it.

One minor thing I noticed when cleaning it yesterday is on the front bumper just under the headlight it looks like something is peeling cracking, a mate said it looks like a vinyl?

Due to paranoia I went to a renault dealer to look at another to see if it was "normal" and even a 62 plate had the same thing.

It's hard to explain but it's kinda under the headlight near where the front bumper joins the wing and if you look closely it looks like it's not painted properly or something.

I thought it was just wear and tear on my car but it's the same on both sides and was the same on a brand new one.

I've attached a picture with a crappy arrow pointing to the area I mean, the picture doesn't show it, I've just used a picture to show the area.

Last edited:
i think thats like a moulding line from when the wings are made - the 197 has something similar on the edges :poke:

if the knocking is coming from the back, then you may what to remove the diffuser, and check fior worn mounts, bricks in the diffusers heat shield etc.

Cheers for the replies.

It's booked in at renault to get the heatshield sorted they're waiting on rivet bolts or something.

Will see if that cures it otherwise I'll see if it's under the diffuser.

Other than a few niggles I think the car is superb, it's like driving a go kart round the bends, literally no body roll,and the recaros make driving the car feel special each time.