5hp?

Hey guys,

Iv been doing some reading lately, and iv found that alot of blokes get really excited about 3, 4, even 5 HP gains when they add mods...

I had no idea the clio was such a pig to get more power from, im contemplating on an exhaust/intake/tune for mine, but to be quite frank, if i were to fork out 2-3k and get 5 Hp id be less then impressed! as we all know, a simple drop in filter on most other cars can get you that!

so my question is, is there a way to get some performance (key word not just being power) from the 197 clio without a transplant or FI?

Does the Exhaust/remap/intake/cams really make that much of a difference? again, in most sports cars, the intake<map,exhaust tune generally completely changes a car, i just cant see 5hp making such a difference... or are people just being a little keen on excitement?

does it just FEEL faster cos you have more intake noise and exhaust growl, or are you generally feeling the power (5hp ffs)?

thanks in advance :smile:

P.s one thing that does interest me is weight reduction, can you guys really feel the difference from putting Oz wheels etc? or again is it mostly just subtleties and god looks?

Where have you read this? There are people on the forum that have gone down the exhaust, cams and remap route and are gaining more than 5bhp, more like 15-20.

I just read a build where a dude ended up with 200 hp after doing the above, or is it that the engine was making musch less then 197hp stock? either way, just seems like such little gains, even 15hp, is it really that noticeable?

To give you a feedback on your wheels question: my girlfriend has the same car as I do (Lupo GTI!) we have everything stock and I evan have a Group A Bastuck exhaust without center silencer and a remap but run the original BBS rims in 6,5x15... she has the oem exhaust but OZ Ultraleggera, these wheels have about 2kg less than mine, so it's overall 8kg's for all 4 wheels and you can simply feel that hers runs better from the start, has better cornering and is much more agile than mine.
The weight of the wheels is a massive improvement or why do you think do all the racing cars (most of them ok...) run magnesium rims?

Just my 2ct.....

Oli

Wow, thats awesome Olli, so id definitely class that as noticeable performance gain! those Oz rims look great, so i was going to get a set anyway, i was just curious if the gains were real or just placebo...

mighty pleased with the feedback, cheers

these OZ's are really a killer trust me, besides they are very nice lookin...

a few lads here have the Alegerittas on their cars, might be another one to look on ;-)

I will def get me these Ultraleggeras next spring. white car, golden rims should look sweet :smile:

They were never 197bhp, it's PS (most manufacturers use give the PS figure now) which is about 194 bhp.

Unfortunately not many hit this number in standard from, most make 180-185bhp.

It's just the nature of NA engines unfortunately, without boost there isn't much more you can do to get massive gains. The Clio engine is already fairly powerful for a 2.0 N/A so there isn't a huge amount you can extract from it.

These engines aren't 197bhp so if you think they are you're off onto the wrong foot already.

A good engine will probably dyno at about the 180-190 mark.

ah, i see, that explains it... to be fair, I love my car, and when its on the limit and im on a twisty road, i never wish there was more power, its already a complete package...

so again, does the exhaust/map/intake make much noticable difference? in regards to both sound and performance? or is money better spent on wheels etc?

Cheers :smile:

I'd say a.combination of both.

I had my car remaped and had a stainless put on and apart from being noisier you can feel the pull through the gears. I gained about 15bhp @5k because my car was running rich so for me personally it feels good. Overall I only gained 6bhp but I improved the drivability of the car no end.

Depending on what car you've got a mixture of weight saving and the above will feel like a healthy increase.

its more about drivability then more power, mods and remap can give you a little more bottom/mid range, smooth out the power etc. me personally was well worth.

as proved by 5th gear, if you want to physically be faster, get tuition from a professional. Mods generally feel no different unless severe (ie: replace engine, major lightness etc). as a general rule your exhausts don't give you any more grunt and the rolling road prints show remaps at around 3 - 4 bhp more with mods.

Well bud after fitting my OZ's and Maxogen with the lighter battery and a K-tec cat back so fair bit of weight saved then a map it feels more alive.not sure how many bhp ive gained from standard but feels much better.

The F4R was originally 172bhp ( which often dyno'd in the 160's ) and then Renault have done all the tuning work for you to achieve 197bhp in the 200 Clio.

That's a massive gain for a 2 litre NA engine and makes it very difficult to find any other gains from this already highly strung lump.

Take my car for example ( the highest tuned NA on here I'd argue ) it's specced with high comp forged pistons, cat race 403s with VVT delete, stage one ported head, Clio cup big end bearings, ARP head stud kit and big end bolts, full cat delete, standalone ecu and ITBs.

It's still not mapped ( running in ) but for all that im hoping for 230 - 235bhp, not a massive gain for the money it cost which is more or less 10k!

Get the power to weight ratio down, If you can live with it and your onto a winner, I gained just under a second with my twingo 133 on the quarter by removing the spare wheel and rear seats and tire pressures

thanks for the replies guys, Mark, that is what i was sort of referring to, your a brave man for doing those mods and i reckon itll be awesome, but it just seems to be diminishing returns from the start...

I used to have a 225 meg, and a remap alone would give you almost 30 hp more sometimes, i know thats FI though...

weight saving is where its at for me i guess, does anyone know of miscelaneous engine parts like radiator etc that have lightweight replacements on the market? it would be cool to have a lightweight register of parts that leave the car still in road trim, (no seats missing etc)

thank again guys

I think the most notable point your missing is that from a N/A 2.0l 200ps is a phenomenal number from factory! The reason the mods dont do much is that the car is already designed to be fast! For example i had a 2.8 E36 BMW before the clio which std was around 180bhp!!! 2.8l!! a simple mod like a bigger manifold (BMW tax reasons) pushed it only to about 200bhp... So really the little clio is absolutely amazing considering its 4 pot and not even a straight 6etc! It embarrasses most big boys! What more do you want from a N/A 2.0 engine i'd say no more than 250 with the most serious mods! Fair play renault i say.

I get that, 200ps NA is pretty good for a 2ltr! And like I said, the car is a beast, awesome package stock, that's why I bought one! I'm just queering the real world effects of the mods that are available and there value!

I think personally 30hp more and a 100kg less and the car would be untouchable! :smile:

I get that, 200ps NA is pretty good for a 2ltr! And like I said, the car is a beast, awesome package stock, that's why I bought one! I'm just queering the real world effects of the mods that are available and there value!

I think personally 30hp more and a 100kg less and the car would be untouchable! :smile:

its amazing! not pretty good haha! what have you got? the cup version? Why dont you do that then? Completely strip the clio, i dont think you'll get 100kg though... 50-60 maybe.. tbf though, to get 230bhp, the money you'd spend achieving that you might aswell just done a 225 meg conversion... its really a touchy subject, like people have said you aint getting over 15bhp MAX without being very much outta pocket after! and if you did, the money you'd spend, like i said would be better off directed at the meg conversion! If you really wanna know more, speak to like KTEC or another dedicated french car speicalist! They would give you top advice really

Yeah being in oz makes it harder! I plan on getting fixed seats, lightweight battery exhaust and oz supers! Then a tune and paneL FILTER, maybe maybe a cam later! Iv got a r27, which I believe is like a full fat cup!

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
FishFart General Chat 2