519's Stage 1 Cylinder head rated.

As some of you may know i unfortunately diagnosed my car with a failed head gasket a month ago ( Due to nitrous stress ).

As can be seen, the dye has changed colour indicating combustion gases present in the coolant system:
DSC02252.jpg

DSC02251.jpg

Not one to hang around i was on the path of rectification within a week.

The Fault: The F4Rs head gasket is famously resiliant so under more investigation i researched that on high boost turbos or very commonly on nitrous injected engines the head can actually be forced off the block slightly due to the extreme pressures in the combustion chamber. Insufficient clamping of the head is to blame. The most popular way to cure this is converting the head bolts to a stronger stud kit.

DSC02276.jpg

DSC02275.jpg

After speaking to several companies who offered head porting services i stuck to who i knew with 519 Automotive, car was dropped off two weeks ago:

DSC02277.jpg

DSC02282.jpg

DSC02292.jpg

DSC02280.jpg

Cylinder head was removed and sent off to be hot bath pressure tested for cracks etc. All was fine and for precaution it was given a very small head skim to ensure a perfectly flat surface. The head gasket was not damaged or leaking anywhere, proving the head lift theory correct, good idea on the stud kit!

There is very little gain to be had from the inlet side of things so its mostly just smoothing of the ports:
DSC02289.jpg

DSC02291.jpg

The exhaust ports however are ripe for a lump of porting and matching so this is where most of the gain is to be had:
DSC02290.jpg

Also had some combustion chamber work done to reduce the risk of detonation. The specifics of which i dont know.

Stud kit fitted:
DSC02293.jpg

DSC02296.jpg

DSC02297.jpg

Results!:
Initially it has to be said i was doubting this would work, i've been told the 197s head is fantastic out the factory and whats a little porting worth? Its made most gain mid to high range ( 4000-6000rpm ) where torque has vastly improved, its got much more guts which aids coming out the corners in the right gear with the power right there. Top end it revs a little more freely and i feel less need to rev it to the redline for max power now. Overall a slight increase in outright power but main gains with usability and a much wider usable powerband :smile:

Cost for headwork was £500 for Stage 1, put on top of that parts and labour with the cambelt etc i paid around £1100 drive in/out. Stud kit is another £250 on top of that should you require them. Car is being remapped soon to clear the primary decats flatspot, but im expecting worthwhile gains. 519 did an amazing job, professional finish with a tidy installation, everything as it should be first time. Top fella too.

Thanks for reading, please ask any questions.

Ben.

Last edited:
Looking very good. Seems like quite a lot of work involved! Good to have it back i'd imagine :wink:

I wanted to drop forged internals in it whilst i was there, but funds didnt allow :worried:

Dude i know exactly the problem your talking about.

Just purchased the Renault fitment Pioneer components for a bargain price through a mate of mine. Now i need a wicked headunit to accompany them as we all know they wont sound as good on the less than average standard cd player.

Yet i want Ultra Racing rear arb and front h brace. Its a whole lot of LOL.

Tremendous job they did. Would like such blokes to live here in Belgium...
One question that rose to my mind... why aren't the ports matched off-factory?
The downside of mass production perhaps?

So do you recon its worth getting the headwork (port and polish, chamber work) on a minorlly modded engine ie with exgaust panel filter etc. (without stud kit). Csn he do yhis ina day?

If i was a 'part-time' modder like yourself i would combine this with a cambelt change or similar. Doubling up jobs is always a cheap technique. Dropping a set of CatCam 402s in there at the same time would be ideal.

Your best off speaking to Danny @ 519Automotive yourself with regards to the work but i couldnt see him getting it done in a day, alot of work has to go into the porting. perhaps a weekend? He's very accomodating with regards to working around your time scale/plans etc. He stayed til 10pm one night and had to work through sunday to get this back to me for the last weekend.

Obviously if you've exhausted all other routes ( remaps, exhaust etc. ) then this is the next logical step to improving the performance of your car. However, if i had to choose between this and the Quaife diff i think i'd still go for the diff.

Give him a bell and have a word if your interested.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback Ben :smile: I'm made up with your being pleased. No matter how many engines you've pulled apart, it's always intimidating to be working on such a low mileage and well cared for example.

So do you recon its worth getting the headwork (port and polish, chamber work) on a minorlly modded engine ie with exgaust panel filter etc. (without stud kit). Csn he do yhis ina day?

In answer to this, It's hard to say exactly what gain you would see without cams, but the exhaust ports are pretty restrictive as standard. It's not a days work by any means either. Bens took a little extra time as it was back and forth for a pressure test before starting any work, due to the HG breach issue, then back again for a skim after porting work was done due to a tiny low spot found (I always leave this until last just incase of an minor damage that may be caused whilst porting and moving the head around on the bench) It's around a 7-10 day job without rushing