4th or 5th for 30MPH??

Dystant

Detailing Dale
Paid Member
So I've always driven in 4th when cruising along at 30, but I noticed that the car seems to be able to handle it in 5th with no issues (this may only apply to the later gearboxes with different ratios).

My car only tells me my average fuel consumption, so it's hard to tell which one is actually more fuel efficient at that speed.

Do any of the higher spec models have an 'instant consumption' stat on the speedo that would be able to test this and see which is better for fuel?

Which gear do you guys use for cruising at 30?

4th, sometimes even 3rd. I found that the MPG doesn't really get affected by which gear it's in, it's appalling all the time. Anyway, lower gear gives me more chance to pull away if needed, quicker than having to change gear etc

Reactions: ///M
Can't say I've been as high as 5th gear for 30 mph, I think it makes everything feel very sluggish!

I'm normally 3rd / 4th depending on the type of 30mph area, shunting around between traffic lights and roundabouts constantly I'll leave it in 3rd, but if its a mile stretch of 30mph I'd probably sit in 4th

Reactions: shells2074 and ///M
2nd is best for cruising at 30mph, instant power when you put your foot down :wink:

I normally put it in 5th if the road is level or downhill. If it is slightly uphill then i'll put it in 4th. Not sure which one is more efficient though

The lack of hills down here would probably explain my lack of 5th gear usage through a 30!

Third... always ready!

:smile:

You have a bit of power there then if you need it and you're not tempted to plant your foot while still in 5th so won't give the engine a load of work to do while it's labouring.

Balls to fuel consumption! It's never going to be great no matter what you do, may as well make the most of it.

Reactions: RossWoods93
So I've always driven in 4th when cruising along at 30, but I noticed that the car seems to be able to handle it in 5th with no issues (this may only apply to the later gearboxes with different ratios).

My car only tells me my average fuel consumption, so it's hard to tell which one is actually more fuel efficient at that speed.

Do any of the higher spec models have an 'instant consumption' stat on the speedo that would be able to test this and see which is better for fuel?

Which gear do you guys use for cruising at 30?
Zero your MPG before journey and its more accurate.

I'd agree that 3rd is the best gear to be in, from a safe driving perspective - as mentioned above, you have the flexibility in that situation. I do sometimes use 5th and even 6th though, but only if I'm tickling along and don't really need any throttle. I certainly wouldn't try and accelerate in those gears at 30...

Wouldn't be driving the car if I had to cruise at 30mph!

4th gear for me if I were

Yeah I'm not talking anything in terms of having the power to accelerate quickly if possible, but in terms of just fuel efficiency.

Because usually in other cars I've driven 5th at 30 feels like the engine is going to stall, but the Clio seems to be fine hovering at about 2k revs IIRC.

I just wondered whether it was more or less fuel efficient due to the engine potentially struggling.

Might try and reset my counter as people have said and test which is better.

Avoid high revs or excessive load on the engine to get best fuel economy

I'd agree that 3rd is the best gear to be in, from a safe driving perspective - as mentioned above, you have the flexibility in that situation. I do sometimes use 5th and even 6th though, but only if I'm tickling along and don't really need any throttle. I certainly wouldn't try and accelerate in those gears at 30...

I've got a long stretch of flat 30 mph road on my work journey. Especially in the morning its an empty road too.

My cars happy at 30mph in 6th. Funnily enough though. That 30mph is my marker. Any less and i'm stirring the gearbox.

If the road had a few hills in, or there was traffic about, or i 'might' need a squirt of acceleration at some point for some reason; i would be in a lower gear too....

I've got a long stretch of flat 30 mph road on my work journey. Especially in the morning its an empty road too.

My cars happy at 30mph in 6th. Funnily enough though. That 30mph is my marker. Any less and i'm stirring the gearbox.

If the road had a few hills in, or there was traffic about, or i 'might' need a squirt of acceleration at some point for some reason; i would be in a lower gear too....

Yeah exactly the same with me, Shuv. Very flat, straight bit of road and it just cruises along nicely in 6th, with no laboring of the engine. Definitely wouldn't do slower in that gear either though.

Reactions: Dystant