225/45 instead of 215/45 - Softer Ride?

Wondering whether changing the tyres from 215/45 to 225/45 will make the ride les harsh.

As the sidewall is higher it should in theory mean a softer ride but hoping to learn real world experience form people who actually done this.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a cushion is a cheaper solution as well, great tip [emoji3][emoji106].

I don’t mind the firm ride but was wondering whether it would handles potholes and such a bit nicer.

I had some 225 45 17 potenza sports fitted at the weekend and I’d say they’re a bit softer, so I just hardened up the coilovers a bit :thumb:

• Haha
Reactions: Paul_D
slight ride difference depends on the utilization (track vs road) apart from fatty vs skinny look.

I switch in between for track days (I go with 225/45/17) with more camber (~-2.5) and for road with 215/45 with a less camber (~-2.0)

what's your wheel's J? is it 7J or more?

Wheels are 7.5J. I do not use the car for track. Just wondering whether the slight height increase of the tyre wall will help with bad road surfaces. Road surfaces with potholes, uneven paving stones and so on.

Should make a slight difference over pot holes at protecting the rim.. also the type of tyre will have an effect, if you’ve got a sporty tyre they tend to have harder square tyre walls where most road tyres are softer and curved

Wheels are 7.5J. I do not use the car for track. Just wondering whether the slight height increase of the tyre wall will help with bad road surfaces. Road surfaces with potholes, uneven paving stones and so on.

Then it's more of a cosmetic. Well, you need to consider adjusting the ride height to avoid rubbing at the wheel arch for the type of roads you mentioned.

Not aiming for a cosmetic upgrade, it looks already nice as it is[emoji3]. The car is lowered by 20mm front and rear.

Should make a slight difference over pot holes at protecting the rim.. also the type of tyre will have an effect, if you’ve got a sporty tyre they tend to have harder square tyre walls where most road tyres are softer and curved

The tyre will be the Michelin PS4, same as I have now.

OK, let's keep it "simple" :wink:

On a Tire, there are usually markings on the Sidewalls about how many Plies are present, and what they are made of. This includes Sidewall Plies, aswell as the "running surface" plies (sorry, i can't remember the english word for this...).
If you check this for the 215/45/17 Size vs. the 225/45/17 size, and the Plies are the same, then yes, you can expect a softer ride. But as stated, this will be really marginal.
Sometimes this (the composition of plies) changes at a certain size threshold, so it is possible that you suddenly have a stiffer tire after going one size up/down, because additional plies are present.
This is a very specific case for you since you are comparing the same tire model. Because comparing between most different Tires (Make and Model), you can expect WAY bigger changes in stiffness than whatever will be a noticable difference in your size change.

So, in short: If you want a more comfortable ride, get different (softer sidewall) Tires, don't expect a palpable change by changing from 215 to 225 width.

Reactions: Marsch and R20BTG
OK, let's keep it "simple" :wink:

On a Tire, there are usually markings on the Sidewalls about how many Plies are present, and what they are made of. This includes Sidewall Plies, aswell as the "running surface" plies (sorry, i can't remember the english word for this...).
If you check this for the 215/45/17 Size vs. the 225/45/17 size, and the Plies are the same, then yes, you can expect a softer ride. But as stated, this will be really marginal.
Sometimes this (the composition of plies) changes at a certain size threshold, so it is possible that you suddenly have a stiffer tire after going one size up/down, because additional plies are present.
This is a very specific case for you since you are comparing the same tire model. Because comparing between most different Tires (Make and Model), you can expect WAY bigger changes in stiffness than whatever will be a noticable difference in your size change.

So, in short: If you want a more comfortable ride, get different (softer sidewall) Tires, don't expect a palpable change by changing from 215 to 225 width.

Thank you very much for your reply! It makes so much sense that I feel sort of ashamed that I couldn’t think of this by myself. It might mean though that I have to say goodbye to my beloved Michelins.

Anyway, I’ll start comparing different tires focusing on sidewall specs.

Thanks again!

I forgot something else actually, but this usually comes together with this ply story, and that's the load index :wink:
The higher the load index, the stiffer the tire. Often this is way above what you need for your car, so you can look for one that matches. That said, mostly the load index is just "set" by a certain size and model, so don't get your hopes up.
Also: run flat tires and such are WAY stiffer than normal ones too. But you knew that Ofc. Just wanted to make this complete

Reactions: Marsch
225 PS4 definitely ride softer than 215 PS4, and I feel like you also lose a bit of feedback both on the road and on track.
You likely won't have any scrubbing issues with only a drop on springs.

For me, the 225's look crap compared to 215, but the substantially cheaper price far outweighs the cost vs looks question in my opinion.

I forgot something else actually, but this usually comes together with this ply story, and that's the load index :wink:
The higher the load index, the stiffer the tire. Often this is way above what you need for your car, so you can look for one that matches. That said, mostly the load index is just "set" by a certain size and model, so don't get your hopes up.
Also: run flat tires and such are WAY stiffer than normal ones too. But you knew that Ofc. Just wanted to make this complete

This i did know, my ego is a little bit repaired[emoji6].

Thanks for the complete information!

225 PS4 definitely ride softer than 215 PS4, and I feel like you also lose a bit of feedback both on the road and on track.
You likely won't have any scrubbing issues with only a drop on springs.

For me, the 225's look crap compared to 215, but the substantially cheaper price far outweighs the cost vs looks question in my opinion.

Thank you for this information. Loosing feedback is one thing but on bad road surfaces a softer tire should reduce ‘skipping’ a little so loose one thing and gain another. Unfortunately the roads where I drive the most are of the bad type.

I’ll research a little further also using the information from Seriosha and let you know.

You’d need to be very in tune to your car to notice the difference in my opinion. Assuming they’re the same branded tyre. I’ve run both and couldn’t notice. I prefer the look of the 215 but as said the price of the 225 always seem to be cheaper for some reason

Reactions: Sean197 and Marsch
I went with the 225's on my track car as they were cheaper and I thought wider would be better. But I think I regret it as I always think now after having the 225's that the 215's would be "pointier". I feel like the 225's bulge slightly on a 7.5J wheel and roll a bit more.