200: 200 problems update

james_h

Platinum Member
Hi all,

I haven't been on here too much lately as I have been having a few issues with the clio and thought now is a good time for an update in one go.

Some of you may be aware I had an issue with condensation in the front fog lamps and both headlight units. At the time one headlight seemed the worst, with actual dirty sort of water marks left by the condensation inside the unit. Upon looking closely it almost looked as if water were getting in somehow (even though they are sealed units) :jumpon: not happy.

The Renault dealer where I brought the car were helpful, and after a visit they managed to get warranty to agree to pay for a new unit.

The car came back but as the weeks passed the condensation got so bad that it would never clear, even with the lights on for up to an hour.

Then something else, upon looking at the new replaced headlight unit I noticed it was full of small white particles (like larger specs of talcum powder).. it looked awful. It was all over the black trim inside the unit and makes the headlight unit look terrible.:001_unsure:

Completely dissatisfied I called Renault UK who I have to say have been really helpful. I have a manager assigned to the case.

I sent off all the pics and a few weeks on they have agreed that the level of condensation is not acceptable. They are going to replace both fogs and the remaining headlight unit. :thumbup:

With regards to the headlight that has been replaced before but now has loads of debris inside it, I am awaiting to hear from the dealer/warranty team.....

Mate I'm going back with mine both front lights and back lights have slight condersation in them :worried: so pissed as its a month old

I had both headlights replaced on a 197 due to slight condensation and 'webbing marks' on the inside, harrats wakey were great and just replaced them after a quick call to Ruk, hope you get them sorted.

brilliant news on RUK helping out mate hope it all get sorted rather sharpish for you

Thanks Smiler - I hope so too. They have been really good so far.

Mate I'm going back with mine both front lights and back lights have slight condersation in them :worried: so pissed as its a month old

I suspect this is possibly a design fault and I think your problem has sort of confirmed it. Someone said to me 'what do you expect, it's a renault' and I think that about sums it up. Mine are only 16 months old and the car has 5k on it. The proof will be in the pudding, as I'll see if it happens with the new ones.

I had both headlights replaced on a 197 due to slight condensation and 'webbing marks' on the inside, harrats wakey were great and just replaced them after a quick call to Ruk, hope you get them sorted.

Thanks mate. I think a lot has changed since the 197/200 change, that's the message I got from RUK anyway - that they are now a lot more reluctant to replace headlights unless they are really bad. Mine had the webbing you talk about, were nearly 50% misty due to condensation (which would take 1-2 hours to clear sometimes more - ie overnight!) and also dirty marks inside deom the condensation. I reckon if you had the same problem now the dealer would have a lot more trouble getting them replaced under warranty.

Renault have rang me back today and mines booked in for 5th jan and theyve ordered me 2new front headlamps and a rear and it's also booked in for a front break issue so hopefully should all be sorted

Mine are brand new units on the 197 and they are fine!

Good luck though mate, itll be worth it once try are sorted!

not good is it?
i had the same on the 197 took two attempts

Yeah I think you told me that before Roy.. I'm praying the new ones sort the issue and it isn't something common to these headlights such as a design flaw.

Renault have rang me back today and mines booked in for 5th jan and theyve ordered me 2new front headlamps and a rear and it's also booked in for a front break issue so hopefully should all be sorted

You've done well to get that sorted so quickly and so easily. They were very reluctant to do anything about just condensation. Mine had really bad water ingress looking marks inside (like dirty sort of balloon shapes) and would never clear taking up to 50% of the light cluster over. I've had to submit around 20-30 photo''s and gone through weeks of waiting. Mines not a new car but still only 16 months old and only 5k... it cost nearly as much too.

Mine are brand new units on the 197 and they are fine!

Good luck though mate, itll be worth it once try are sorted!

Cheers buddy.

Some places are shocking at accepting the fact there wrong! I've have my Renault dealership that much hassle since ordering and having the car think there sick of me so have just agreed for a quiet life coz they know I don't quit until it's right lol hope all goes well for us both mate :wink:

I've noticed this on 3 or 4 of the cars i've looked at (197's) but seems like only on the drivers side.

Mine were both but slightly worse on the drivers side, the guy at renault said he had seen it before so maybe common? Only had them replaced around 4 months ago.

nice one mate.

Lucky RUK sort it out for you cos most peoples out there don't get lucky.

Cheers mate.

It was a lot of hard work tbh - must have made at least 10 phone calls in total and spent well over 12 hours I reckon dealing with all the calls, emails, photo's etc.

Getting replaced next week, and they have also agreed to change the light again with all the debris/bits inside it...:thumbup:

In tomorrow for both headlights and spotlights to be changed.

Fingers crossed it comes out rectified!

I'll get some pics up I think so people can see the problems, especially the small bits of whatever the substance is inside the one light cluster.