200 Cups, Sports or Speedlines

Doogle

Winner - POTM March 2018
Hey all,

I am looking at new alloys but ideally staying OEM. What are the difference in these 3 options:

200 Cup alloys
200 Sport alloys
Speedlines (non cup racer)

Are the 200 Sports and Cup the same wheel, just different colours? What about weights between all three?

I am wanting slightly lighter than my 197 Cup alloys, but the budget doesnt stretch to something like OZ's. I know a user on here (Tombate911) found out his 200 Cups are lighter than his 197 alloys by 4kg per set.

Doug

I know a user on here (Tombate911) found out his 200 Cups are lighter than his 197 alloys by 4kg per set.

Doug

Different tyres so completely unscientific test without being harsh.

I know from my chasing weight-saving days when i used to do a few Trackdays on bikes - tyre weights can vary hugely.

There's a few comprehensive posts here regarding wheel weight. Inc one with all manner of wheels / sizes listed.

Different tyres so completely unscientific test without being harsh.

I know from my chasing weight-saving days when i used to do a few Trackdays on bikes - tyre weights can vary hugely.

There's a few comprehensive posts here regarding wheel weight. Inc one with all manner of wheels / sizes listed.

He tested them after they had both been refurbed and powdercoated using the same bodyshop and before tyres. But you have a point, tyres do make a massive difference.

I think what I am trying to get at is I can probably pick up some 200 Cup alloys for £200 and my 197s arnt worth much less. I think they are a better looking wheel overall (prefer them over the Speedlines) but I dont want to go heavier.

Ive had a long look through the main one but wheels never seem to be compared directly very often.

He tested them after they had both been refurbed and powdercoated using the same bodyshop and before tyres. But you have a point, tyres do make a massive difference.

I think what I am trying to get at is I can probably pick up some 200 Cup alloys for £200 and my 197s arnt worth much less. I think they are a better looking wheel overall (prefer them over the Speedlines) but I dont want to go heavier.

Ive had a long look through the main one but wheels never seem to be compared directly very often.

I also saw a post where he'd measured with tyres on. With different wheels and tyres (One wet and one dry set). Either ways - tyres vary hugely.

There not a 'huge amount' to be saved choosing standard speedline, 197 or Cup 200. The real way to do it - is by buying something else ie: OZ's.

But every little helps hey and i think from memory the Cup 200 are the lightest - but not by much !

Doubt you are going to notice much with 1kg per wheel to be honest... it's natural that the cups are going to weigh less as there is less metal...

I also saw a post where he'd measured with tyres on. With different wheels and tyres (One wet and one dry set). Either ways - tyres vary hugely.

There not a 'huge amount' to be saved choosing standard speedline, 197 or Cup 200. The real way to do it - is by buying something else ie: OZ's.

But every little helps hey and i think from memory the Cup 200 are the lightest - but not by much !

You are definitely right, buying some proper lighter alloys is the way to do it.

It was this post from him but maybe I misread.

Screenshot_20170909-144743.png

Doubt you are going to notice much with 1kg per wheel to be honest... it's natural that the cups are going to weigh less as there is less metal...

So the Cups weigh less than the Sports? Probably wont notice the difference, you're right.

You are definitely right, buying some proper lighter alloys is the way to do it.

It was this post from him but maybe I misread.

View attachment 113579

I maybe saw a later post somewhere. After tyres had been fitted.

And i said "...but the weights shown are with different tyres" and we effectively had the same discussion. So no - not the one you've linked to. 1kg is 10% if you look at it that way / weigh :smile: !!!

Reactions: Doogle

And i said "...but the weights shown are with different tyres" and we effectively had the same discussion. So no - not the one you've linked to. 1kg is 10% if you look at it that way / weigh :smile: !!!

10% difference is reasonable, itll be with the same tyres as I have as I intend to swap them over so a bit of a weight saving.

How can you tell the difference between the Sports and Cups then?

Just stumbled across you lot talking about me, thought my ears were burning.

The wheel weights were done in a good accurate way, freshly dipped and powdercoated at the same time, no tyres, valve or centre caps.
The conversation you was thinking off was referring to tyre weights. I calculated the tyre weights to give me total difference between my wet wheel set up vs dry set up.
My dry tyres weigh more than the wets due to the stronger nature however they're now mounted onto the lighter wheels, previously they were on the heavier wheels so i've saved about 4.4kg by swapping alloys.

Just stumbled across you lot talking about me, thought my ears were burning.

The wheel weights were done in a good accurate way, freshly dipped and powdercoated at the same time, no tyres, valve or centre caps.
The conversation you was thinking off was referring to tyre weights. I calculated the tyre weights to give me total difference between my wet wheel set up vs dry set up.
My dry tyres weigh more than the wets due to the stronger nature however they're now mounted onto the lighter wheels, previously they were on the heavier wheels so i've saved about 4.4kg by swapping alloys.

So you tested both after powdercoating? Ive bought some 200 alloys that I hope to fit this weekend :grinning:

Reactions: tombate911
Yeah you can find the original post I my build thread here, will have to skip back a few pages.

http://www.clio197.net/threads/toms-200-blue-track-car-tuning-diff-and-cadwell-update.51345/page-20

It was your findings that made me want some. I weighed the new one with weights and valve, they came in at 9.15kg. The old ones were weighed without weights and valve and came in at 10.05kg so almost 1kg difference. You can definitely feel the difference, seems to ride a little better as well but maybe my imagination!

Awesome. Yeah defo a nice and easy bit of weight saving and rotational mass. Certainly make a little bit of difference dropping weight off the wheels! Shame I've got 2 sets of 197 wheels and one set of 200 wheels.

Its like anything with a wheel, I am amazed that manufacturers dont factor it in. Weight saving is fairly big now, surely thats an easy way to go?

Now just to tidy up the brakes and get some new wheel nuts to make them look a bit smarter!