197 vs 200 cylinder head

MikeLYR27

Supercharged Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I no they have different heads, apparently the 200 has been 'tweaked'. I want to no if there is a significant difference between the 2 of them. Looking to find out if i have a restriction in airflow etc on my 197 head? I cant imagine there being a huge difference, maybe more for emmisions/MPG?

No guess work please boys, im looking for info :smile:

Thanks

Really? I thought in the release spec it said it was different?

Cheers anyway mate :smile:

I'd put my money on different exhaust ports and just a ECU tweak

When renault say its 'revised' would it have a significant impact over the 197 head? As in with modifying, would it have a benefit on a boosted engine like mine, or just minimal?

The exhaust ports on both are tiny, you need a different exhaust manifold to do anything with it though sadly. I've had enough apart to say I've not found any differences at all

That's some solid feedback from Danny.

I'm wondering though how Renault managed to squeeze more torque and power from the engine if the head - and everything else apparently - are the same.

The exhaust ports on both are tiny, you need a different exhaust manifold to do anything with it though sadly. I've had enough apart to say I've not found any differences at all

Cheers Danny, pretty much what I was looking for. Is there no one that produces aftermarket manifolds? I no toyo sport does but heard it's ****.

That's some solid feedback from Danny.

I'm wondering though how Renault managed to squeeze more torque and power from the engine if the head - and everything else apparently - are the same.

engine/ecu calibration...

So does that mean different mapping Foxy?

in a nutshell yes

they have also tweeked it again for euro 5 emissions regs as the co2 output has dropped easch time...

06 197 - 200+ g/km

56 197 - 199g/km

200 - 195g/km

200 euro 5 - 190g/km

all by different ecu mapping

having said that Renault did on the press release of the 200 mention cylinder head "modification"....

We all know a decent map can extract a few more bhp and better MPG I'm sure Renault are capable of doing the same

the mpg is definitely down to the gearbox, I'm almost eager for the box to break in my 197 so i can swap the 200 box in. The mapping is definitely significantly different.

Overall though, if you want an improved head, just go for having port work done, standard for standard swap is a bit excessive IMO. I've yet to see a decent manifold. I asked Piper to make one but they weren't convinced it would sell as it would have been in the £600+ region due to the complex design work and tight tollerence/space, and people would just opt for the cheap ebay stuff.