197 Gearbox refurbed at AW Motorworks: Issues?

chris_blue

Paid Member
When I purchased my 197 a year ago, realised it had the 3rd gear crunch, so as i was gonna use for Track a fair bit, decided to get it done and have an LSD fitted too.

Went to Alex at AW Motorworks in September as recommended on here, which cost a few quid as cars always do. mGreat, i thought.

After a few days Clio developed a rasping noise after warming up (10-15 MINS) which i originally thought was wheel arch liner rubbing. Replaced the plastic undergrill (Phew, bits are pricey new) and NSF wheel arch liner. Wasnt the issue

Raised the coilover height. Wasnt the issue

Paid a visit back to ALEX at AW Motoworks a few weeks ago, and he said as Renault dont supply exact specifications to set up the gearbox tolerances, sometimes this rasping sound happens., and shouldnt worry too much. Has anyone else had this?

Anyway- ALEX offerered to do a bit of fettling on it to get it a bit better- but now I cant get hold of him after emailing and using Facebook mesenger.

Is this an issue i should just put up with?

Thanks

I think we need some more evidence of what this rasping noise is, and when specifically it occurs. Ideally with video.

Tried getting video/ record the sound, but it doesnt relay very well. Just wind and every other engine sound is recorded.

Sound happens above 20mph and below 70mph, usually 3rd and 4th gear, but is across all gears

I have had work done by Alex on my Ciio over the past 2-3 years. I have found him to be a really good to deal with - although he can be difficult to contact sometimes. Keep trying to get hold of him and he will reply.

Reactions: chris_blue
I'm struggling to picture why a gearbox might rasp. I'd describe a rasp as sounding like your silencer baffles had gone in an exhaust. Is it more of a high pitched whine?

Good point RS Rowe. I should've said, no noise coasting in neutral, or when not moving, or when clutch is depressed. Happens using throttle or not, as in decelerating (approaching roundabout) in gear with foot off throttle.

I'm struggling to picture why a gearbox might rasp. I'd describe a rasp as sounding like your silencer baffles had gone in an exhaust. Is it more of a high pitched whine?

Might just be the words I use. Alex at AW has agreed it's coming from gearbox. Like a slight grating. Not particularly loud, but irritating. Specially when u just spent stackloads getting the box reconditioned.

Good point RS Rowe. I should've said, no noise coasting in neutral, or when not moving, or when clutch is depressed. Happens using throttle or not, as in decelerating (approaching roundabout) in gear with foot off throttle.
I wouldn't think it was the gearbox if it's doing it on and off throttle then.
Generally they will do one or the other.

Have your engine mounts ever been done? If it happens coming on/off throttle then something could be moving or rocking back and forth and catching