197 for track???

Have a chance to buy a 2007 non cup 197 for 2k, 140,000mls some history but tidy, thing is what are these like for track use? i would be upgrading the usual, brakes/suspension etc and stripping out with cage, is there any point in paying the extra for a cup version if i'm changing the above anyway, from what i can tell the engine, box, brakes etc are the same on both versions so for a base car would this be a good choice? have been advised to check manifold, front springs, but these would get changed anyway. i'm also aware of the flat spot but a map irons this out right?
Going to look at car tomorrow but wanted some opinions first, also thinking of the 1*2 versions but prefer a bit newer car and like the style of the 197. thanks in advance Mike

The 197 is good for track time 'out of the box' and if you are looking to upgrade the suspension anyway then it doesn't really matter whether it's cup or not.

As Kev says, make sure there's enough of a history to check that the belts have been done - if it's on 140k miles, then it will be due a second belt change within a few more k (due every 72k).

A remap can iron out a flat spot, but the general consensus is to do any breathing mods such as exhaust first (if you intend to do this), so you get the most out of a remap.

Thanks for info so far guys, the fuel pump is not something i'd of thought of about initially, so a good heads up on that one :thumbsup: new the belts are due and i'm guessing most stuff will be worn out to be honest, bushes/mounts etc, how are the gearboxes on them? have read some have crunching? 2k for the car sounds a good price until you start adding up whats due/worn out etc.....

Some boxes do crunch so it's important to listen out for this on a test drive. A crunch could suggest failing synchros and a potential rebuild/replacement. Some cars are affected, some aren't. There doesn't seem to be a defining factor in why some boxes fail yet others can last and last.

And yeah if things do need replacing, the costs can quickly add up...which is another reason why a comprehensive history is important - it would give you the info on what's been done and what could potentially need doing. You don't want to be throwing money at a 'cheap' purchase.

The Clio 197 is terrible on track.

Its incapable of going round tight corners on four wheels because it has so much grip it lifts the inside wheel.

Its too adjustable on limit, the throttle can be used to manipulate the car mid corner, corner speeds are far too high.

Its foot print is much larger than its older siblings meaning its stable in the fast sections

Its brakes are far too good meaning that unfortunately, you brake later than other people

Parts are relatively cheap and massively available

They are quite popular so there are many communities like this to give advice, swap parts and banter...

All in all its a fecking terrible track car :wink:

The Clio 197 is terrible on track.

Its incapable of going round tight corners on four wheels because it has so much grip it lifts the inside wheel.

Its too adjustable on limit, the throttle can be used to manipulate the car mid corner, corner speeds are far too high.

Its foot print is much larger than its older siblings meaning its stable in the fast sections

Its brakes are far too good meaning that unfortunately, you brake later than other people

Parts are relatively cheap and massively available

They are quite popular so there are many communities like this to give advice, swap parts and banter...

All in all its a fecking terrible track car :wink:

Post of the year so far........