197 Cup Steering Wheel

My 197 Cup steering wheel is now looking tatty as hell with even more leather bits coming off in my hand.

What's the deal with this wheel. Guessing its the same as a lower model without cruise control.

I searched for 197 cup steering wheel on ebay yet found 0 so this would confirm my suspisions.

Can somebody let me know which wheels are the same/compatible for my 09 plate 197 cup.

Thanks
James

Pm Steve at R sport cars or a Retrim at Edge just had a look steering wheel with out airbag £155 that's at Steve's parts re RSport cars

Last edited:
Have another search on eBay if you don't mind paying £150+ I just put clio steering wheel in the search and found about 10 197/200 and gordini wheels on there pal.

If you buy a wheel with the buttons on you can remove the airbag module & disconnect the buttons and use your original airbag (without button spaces) in the new wheel.
So really any mk3 wheel is fine

Also the Cup wheel is alot thinner than the normal wheels 197/200 which feel nicer in your hand. I replaced mine with a re trimmed one, it looks and feels 10 times better

Ideal, I didn't realise you could do that. Would suit me better as as silly as it sounds, always been anoyed I haven't got the red stripe at the top of my wheel.

Also the Cup wheel is alot thinner than the normal wheels 197/200 which feel nicer in your hand. I replaced mine with a re trimmed one, it looks and feels 10 times better

I got a 197 coming with a knackered steering wheel - is this an easy job to do? Changed numerous steering wheels on old Golf MK1 and 2 GTIs but never one with an airbag.

They are a pig to change, I work as a tech in a dealer and still find them pigs!! I bought my new wheel from eBay for about 150 delivered, dealer price was 250+ even to me!

Ive looked for a how to guide for steering removal but cant find one. Any chance someone could step me though it please (mainly about the cover/airbag removal/ particular tools) just in case I bite off more than I can chew...

Maybe I could then do a how to

Thanks

Hi mate

you need to wedge something flat up and toward you and pull really just trial and error. I got lucky and got a socket stuck in there and it helped me both times I've done it. Simonxoxo did a thread on an Italian forum and that shows you how to. Look through here he put the link somewhere

hi fella - think I read your thread with u stressing to get it off... the thread was un ended so I sat there gripped in suspense :tongueout:anic:

Gulp... dunno if ive got the patience for it....