197 Cup. Nimbus. Recaros.

Wow - shortest ownership ever... Any particular reason dude?

Not really, i just prefer my Trophy ... although a more detailed response would be:

For me, the best way to describe the 197 is that it is the best bits from a CTR, ie the engine/box, mixed with the best bits from a 182, ie the chuckability, cheapness to run (im getting 32mpg vs 34 in the Trophy). Then you have the brakes, which are simply epic!!! Oh, and the Recaros, again awesome, and quite a lot better support wise than the Trendlines in the Trophy. Much more interior space for the family/kid/mates and a bigger boot with split/fold seats. The interior is generally on another planet to the 182 as well, no rattles/squeaks/bits of trim falling off in your hand lol :s

Driving wise, keep the 197 on the boil above 5k and its just brilliant, gearbox ratios are perfect and it really does travel ground very quickly!! The steering also weights up nicely compared to the lightness during town driving - tbh, now ive got used to it, i actually quite like it, best of both worlds. Engine doesnt sound like its going to explode at high revs like the 182 either ... at low revs its pretty torquey and again, the gear ratios mean that you never feel like your not able to just put your foot down and pull away, doesnt feel as quick as the 182 at low revs however, purely to the extra weight its lugging around - once its moving, & at 5k+ it feels much quicker imho. My one also has the most epic sounding exhaust ever, really raspy on revving, then popping & gurgling on the overrun - lovely!

So then, after all that, why the hell am i selling the 197?

Well, essentially im emotionally attached to my old pink shed, have had some great times in both this one (& my old one) and i simply cant bring myself to get rid of it. In addition, the thousands of £££'s ive ploughed into it over the years, id certianly never get back. In addition, id probably never be able to afford another Trophy as a 'play thing' again!! At the end of the day, it only cost me £2.5k back in September 2010 lol ...

Also, i do enjoy the odd track day & reshelling a 1*2 if the worst happened is a darn sight cheaper/easier than doing the same to a 197 ...

So yeah, the 197 is imho, overall a better car, but the Trophy has really got under my skin, despite the fact that the dampers/gearbox/wishbones are knackered.

Yeah, the 197 is damn heavy. I was gobsmacked when I saw the figures.

Surely if you put some sweet breaks on the trophy, it'd pretty much be as good. :smiley:

Shame you've had such a short stay, but I can appreciate that. I imagine that's how I'll feel about my 197 in some time...